AUTHENTICATE BALLOON WINGS

donaldnol

donaldnol

I have no knowledge of balloon wings but these wings looks a little suspicious what do you think

s-l1600 (41).jpg

s-l1600 (44)3.jpg

s-l1600 (44)2.jpg

s-l1600 (44)4.jpg

s-l1600 (44).jpg

s-l1600 (45).jpg

Everything is wrong with these. I would review the fakes section these are discussed there more than once

donaldnol
2 hours ago, warguy said:

What about them give you concerns?

THE WING IT'S SELF LOOKS WAX CAST AND THE MAKERS NAME LOOKS PROFECTIONALY TOOLED IN

rathbonemuseum.com

As patrick said above these types of fakes especially with the terrible modern “trophy” engraving have been discussed ad nauseum in this wing section. Do not even consider.

donaldnol
1 hour ago, rathbonemuseum.com said:

As patrick said above these types of fakes especially with the terrible modern “trophy” engraving have been discussed ad nauseum in this wing section. Do not even consider.

THANKS i wont consider it, i thought it looked a little suspect.

This is a "pattern" of fakes. Usually a cast or modified wing, with an engraved hallmark, fantasy saying or motto (the cheesy the better), and a date. In case, you know, you didn't figure it all out.  All done with either a nail or dremel bit but someone with no skill what so ever.  Ive seen them in USAAF and USN versions.  Collecting these would be an art form in and of itself.  The old joke applies with these... they are so ugly they hurt my feelings! 

This one has all the bells and whistles except for a date as far as I can see.  Ive been tempted to buy one just for the chuckles associated with them, but then why?

Still, it is amazing the range and volume of these and how often they show up in collections. 

donaldnol
4 minutes ago, Brian Keith said:

I think I see a "1944" date in the balloon.

BKW

yes there is a date and it's still up for grabs no bids yet

On 5/7/2022 at 6:19 PM, donaldnol said:

yes there is a date and it's still up for grabs no bids yet

THOSE WINGS ARE CLIMBING UPWARDS OF $52.00

are you guys sure these aren't

legit wings the bid now is over #110.00 i think i have lucked out?

They. Are. Fake. 

Period.

They. Are. Fake. 

Period.

maybe so not sure what the bidder's think of it the bid now stands $250.50 for sure

5thwingmarty

Not all wing collectors visit this forum.  Hence the crazy bids for fake wings like this one.

I have seen people drop well over $1,000 on fake wings before.  Especially for things like WW1 wings, WASP wings or any of the more rare items.  People generally don't get to handle enough of the good ones to be able to tell what is real and what is fake and get carried away when they see something that fills a hole in their collection.  I would not get in the practice of judging a wing's authenticity by the price it is currently bringing on ebay.  I agree 100% with Tod, Patrick, Marty and others that this is undoubtedly a fake wing pretending to be something it is not.  

Hi all!

Some basic questions a new buyer must ask when considering any rare or even uncommon wing, in this case: does this wing match any known examples of a Dondero Balloon wing? Did Dondero even produce a Balloon wing? Does this wing even match a Dondero pattern? While I do not have a Dondero pattern wing in my collection (yet), Dave Hoover has an outstanding Dondero Command Pilot, Senior Pilot, Pilot trio for sale on his MAA site. They look nothing like the wing in this post.

Agreed this wing is an obvious fake, a re-struck first pattern Meyer with ridiculous engraving made to fool a novice buyer with more money than time to ‘do the research’. Is a shame.

21 hours ago, bschwartz said:

People generally don't get to handle enough of the good ones to be able to tell

Huge in militaria even among some "experts" in other areas of interest.