South Dakota Spanish-American War Medal?

carthage light guard

Sorry for the poor scan.  This photo, taken in Manila, was identified by a previous owner as a South Dakota soldier.  Can anyone identify the medal?  

Thanks!

img226.jpg

It looks like the type of silver ladder badge many state units had made for them, not just for the Span Am / Philippines war but going back to the Civil War. I can't recall what a 1st So. Dakota Volunteers badge looked like specifically but hopefully someone here will have an image or an example. I like his khaki blouse; the so-called Hong Kong british pattern with its distinct cloth covered buttons, issued to the troops in latter half of 1898.  

• 3 months later...

I don't think it is a South Dakota medal, but rather a veterans ladder type badge like CAC1901 mentioned. 

I think it is the one in the thread here, the one in the center on the bottom. They are neat badges, and while not easy to find they are also not rare. 

Good eye there MWalsh. The image was taken in Manila, the tunic is an early Philippines one. So heres the badge - with the appropriate 8th Corps badge inlay on the lowest tier. 

US Army Signal Corps Philippines Ladder Badge.jpeg

I should add that these are found with other unit bars instead of the Signal Corps.  It'd be nice to see the backside of one; if marked where it was made.