20th Division Coat with Overseas Chevrons?

Hello,

I know the 20th Division was still in training camp and never mobilized overseas. Why would a 20th Division coat have 3 overseas chevrons? There was a 39th Infantry Brigade as the collar disk shows when I looked them up. 

Regards,

Chris

20th Division 5.jpg

20th Division.jpg

20th Division 2.jpg

20th Division 3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Very nice uniform. I have a 20th Division uniform as well, but with no Shoulder Sleeve Insignia. I don't believe very many soldiers of the division actually wore the SSI. Mine is a wool service coat and trousers for a sergeant of the 89th Infantry, It also has WW1 silver service chevrons. Additionally, though not related to the uniform, I have an enlisted service hat with light blue hat cord that had a folded-up piece of South Carolina newspaper from the Camp Sevier area under the sweatband. Camp Sevier is where elements of the 20th Division trained.

On 6/6/2022 at 10:35 AM, Major Z said:

Fantastic uniform! I've never seen that patch before. Thank you for sharing it.

Thank you Major Z! 

Regards, Chris

On 6/6/2022 at 2:03 PM, atb said:

Very nice uniform. I have a 20th Division uniform as well, but with no Shoulder Sleeve Insignia. I don't believe very many soldiers of the division actually wore the SSI. Mine is a wool service coat and trousers for a sergeant of the 89th Infantry, It also has WW1 silver service chevrons. Additionally, though not related to the uniform, I have an enlisted service hat with light blue hat cord that had a folded-up piece of South Carolina newspaper from the Camp Sevier area under the sweatband. Camp Sevier is where elements of the 20th Division trained.

Thank you atb. The 20th Division SSI is quite a hard one to find. I was really happy to add this into the collection because my son always talked about this patch when I would be looking through Kurt & Bill Keller's books Emblems of Honor Infantry Divisions. 

What a great find under the sweatband of the service hat you have! I also have a crate for the Model 1910 Bolo Knife that was shipped to Camp Sevier. It is from Landers, Frary & Clark. It is hard to see the shipping stamps but I tried to show it in the photos. 

Regards, 

Chris

IMG_3786.JPG

IMG_3787.JPG

IMG_3788 (2).JPG

IMG_3789 (2).JPG

On 6/14/2022 at 6:45 PM, jprostak said:

If that number on the end is 1000, they are mess kit knives, not Bolos.  

Best

Jon P

Jon P,

Thank you for the observation and info. There is a 1,000 above where it says Knives, Model 1910.  I didn't pick up on it much because the label is cracked right where is says 1,000. I was thinking the M1910 Bolo knowing LF&C made M1910 bolos. It's interesting LF&C called the mess kit knife Model 1910 as well. I didn't know that. 

Regards,

Chris