9th Cavalry Buffalo Soldier ID'd Canteen help

Greetings,

I picked up this canteen today at a street fair.  Written on the back is a name that is hard to read and "Co. K, 9th" also "17.K".

I believe the name may be " I Adrg...."

I'm assuming the "17' represents troop number 17 of company K. 

I'm looking for help finding a roster for Company K of the 9th to see check if there is a trooper with a similar name. 

There is other writing in the se area but haven't been able toakemit out yet. 

Thanks for your help in advance. 

20220501_105943.jpg

20220501_105940.jpg

20220501_105900.jpg

20220501_105849.jpg

That US stencil started use sometime in 1898 by Rock Island Arsenal.  The Co for company tips you off this is not a cavalry troop. The 17 K is more indicative of 17th Infantry Co. K. thats how most such canteens haversacks were marked since they were company property, usually just the regiments number and the letter of the company/troop etc.  The added Co. K 9th with partial name - shows it wound up at some point in a different regt. Not unusual. If you can get the name down you have a small chance of researching the dude but short of that, its not likely going to be fruitful. These canteens were used for the next 12 years at least so its normal they would have gone thru a number of hands in their service life. 

28 minutes ago, CAC1901 said:

That US stencil started use sometime in 1898 by Rock Island Arsenal.  The Co for company tips you off this is not a cavalry troop. The 17 K is more indicative of 17th Infantry Co. K. thats how most such canteens haversacks were marked since they were company property, usually just the regiments number and the letter of the company/troop etc.  The added Co. K 9th with partial name - shows it wound up at some point in a different regt. Not unusual. If you can get the name down you have a small chance of researching the dude but short of that, its not likely going to be fruitful. These canteens were used for the next 12 years at least so its normal they would have gone thru a number of hands in their service life. 

Thanks for the great info. One can see big but looks like it will just be a very canteen. The name looks like it is written in script so hard to make out.