32nd division uniform and souvenirs group

Sailorjerry45

Sailorjerry45

Good afternoon everyone,

I recently was able to acquire this grouping if items belonging to Corporal Joe Verburgt of battery D 121st field artillery 32nd Infantry Division, it came with his uniform, helmet, extra buttons/ insignia and a few souvenirs, my favorite one of them being the 8th lieb garde regiment and what looks like a crest for the city of Selm prussia? It looks like Corporal Verburgt was lucky enough to have gone overseas with the 121st original compliment of men and survived for the duration of the conflict. Id love to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on this group!

20220430_115930.jpg.5014141b4ba541acdaff0f97233f3711.jpg

20220430_120003.jpg.c579d0c7db5217583e3aa919a74a2252.jpg

20220430_115527.jpg.00a7b9184396e67faac59c01103bf8b1.jpg

20220425_181357.jpg.d403e6dc7f8e2c058f0f6f36fe3ecdcd.jpg

44509_3421606189_0262-00952.jpg.55acda65180066be63814e3811a25de5.jpg

44508_3421606189_0045-00175.jpg.6c43a6eb9f78084d11b30db3bb5ddb19.jpg

005252580_03854.jpg.7b4c6636298be436f56cdc489704b874.jpg

195909091_286caef2-21d3-4b70-9d35-d77bf1e054ee.jpeg.1f12dd5a7df29d41cc82c277252eb1df.jpeg

eaglerunner88

Incredible grouping to have stayed together all these years. Congrats! Do you intend on displaying the uniform on a mannequin bust? Would look outstanding with the helmet sitting beside it on a head form. And some of those smalls in a riker mount to finish it off! Have you dug up any additional research on Mr. Verburgt? Finding a photo of him would be amazing.   

Sailorjerry45
2 hours ago, eaglerunner88 said:

Incredible grouping to have stayed together all these years. Congrats! Do you intend on displaying the uniform on a mannequin bust? Would look outstanding with the helmet sitting beside it on a head form. And some of those smalls in a riker mount to finish it off! Have you dug up any additional research on Mr. Verburgt? Finding a photo of him would be amazing.   

I would like to get all this in a display like that some day but unfortunately for now all the souvenirs and small stuff is in the tin he kept them in for years and the uniform is on a hangar, also I haven't been able to find any real in depth information on him personally.

• 3 weeks later...
hookedonguns

Such an amazing grouping! Would love to find something like that. I have been piecing together a display from several Soldiers in the 32nd.

Sailorjerry45
11 minutes ago, hookedonguns said:

Such an amazing grouping! Would love to find something like that. I have been piecing together a display from several Soldiers in the 32nd.

They pop up on ebay fairly often! You just have to have deep pockets and be able to buy all the lots when the dealers separate them. Makes my blood boil but I'm glad I finally had the money to keep something together.

hookedonguns
3 minutes ago, Sailorjerry45 said:

They pop up on ebay fairly often! You just have to have deep pockets and be able to buy all the lots when the dealers separate them. Makes my blood boil but I'm glad I finally had the money to keep something together.

I absolutely agree. Is that where you found this one? Its the same situation with estate sale auctions. I saw a listing for "WWII Japanese Cigarettes" looked at the photo and saw it was in a navy tin. The same estate sale had an arisaka and a few other milsurps. When I got the tin, i opened it up and there was bring back papers for the arisaka. My heart sank, somewhere out there I have someones bring back paperwork.

Sailorjerry45
7 minutes ago, hookedonguns said:

I absolutely agree. Is that where you found this one? Its the same situation with estate sale auctions. I saw a listing for "WWII Japanese Cigarettes" looked at the photo and saw it was in a navy tin. The same estate sale had an arisaka and a few other milsurps. When I got the tin, i opened it up and there was bring back papers for the arisaka. My heart sank, somewhere out there I have someones bring back paperwork.

That is exactly where I got this one i hate seeing groups get split, I have even gone as far as sending the sellers messages ro see if they'd keep it together but they'd rather try and get more money by splitting it than taking one large payment. Its a shame because even if you have the money you may not always have the timing.

Great grouping - One thing to add regarding the crest: I assume the insignia originates from a firefighter's helmet of - indeed - the city of Selm in the former Prussian province of Westphalia, the horse being the coat of arms of Westphalia (see example I found from Calle, another town in the same province).

download.png

Sailorjerry45
3 hours ago, Luxview said:

Great grouping - One thing to add regarding the crest: I assume the insignia originates from a firefighter's helmet of - indeed - the city of Selm in the former Prussian province of Westphalia, the horse being the coat of arms of Westphalia (see example I found from Calle, another town in the same province).

download.png

I do believe you are correct! Thank you

Good save!

That strikes me as a good, old fashioned WW1 estate lot.  The type I used to find at estate auctions every so often.  

It's been years since that's happened now.

Sailorjerry45

I wish I could come across a group like this in the wild haha for now ebay will have to do

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...