Vietnam Patrol Boat camo?

etomilitaria

etomilitaria

Hi all,

Would like to hear some thoughts on this please. Fellow collector in the UK has this shell with an unusual camo painted on the shell. Was told it was either paratrooper or river patrol boat camo. Has anyone seen something similar or recognise the camo? Thanks in advance and pictures to follow.

I go to church with a Gentleman that was a River Rat in Vietnam and he said he never saw one like this but that’s one  of many River Rats.

marty

etomilitaria
2 minutes ago, 644td said:

I go to church with a Gentleman that was a River Rat in Vietnam and he said he never saw one like this but that’s one  of many River Rats.

marty

Thanks @644td - appreciate your input here.

On 4/29/2022 at 1:46 PM, 644td said:

marty

I would go with Navy as well. Painter may have been "inspired" by seeing the WW1 turrle shell camo. Those greys blues and light blues are navy paint shades in my thinking. Would love to own it. 

bigschuss

The fact that your fellow collector suggested that this might be a Vietnam paratrooper helmet suggests he has no clue about this thing's pedigree.  The story about the patrol boat?  I doubt it.  I personally would give this one a wide berth.  You'll never know for sure.  If he's not asking that much and you can get it as a conversation piece...go for it.  If he's asking high end dosh?  No way. 

etomilitaria

Yeah - this one was not for me. I'm more of a 'Plain Jane' helmet collector. Without provenance, this would just continue to be a curiosity.