Questionable WWI Numbered Army DSC On eBay

AirMechanic

AirMechanic

This numbered WWI Army Distinguished Service Cross is currently listed on eBay as a small WWI medal group (eBay item #325161867357). The photos shown are screenshots from the auction. I’m hardly an expert on these rare medals but I feel that there are some potential issues with this medal that should be brought to the attention of any bidders.

One thing I noticed on this medal is that the ball finials on the ends of the cross and the suspension knob are more blob like and not as well rounded/defined as ones I have seen on other WWI DSCs. Also, on the back of the medal on the left side of the bottom leg of the cross, you can see some metal rippling from where the numbers were struck into the edge of the medal. I don’t recall seeing that on other numbered medals. Lastly, the suspension ring looks odd, perhaps a bit smaller.

These were just some observations that I thought should be discussed, especially being that this seller has sold some questionable medals in the past, and has a few other questionable medals listed currently. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this medal?

7B3C7BB2-7A14-40AD-9A76-089C3AEC57AE.jpeg

53228270-0822-4984-BDA6-16F83CB70986.jpeg

01D2E9D6-455E-44C9-89D8-38323427016F.jpeg

ED5C3AF1-99E6-4C80-A9F0-18CC2D4B9534.jpeg

The DSC is from the December 30, 1941 Robbins Company contract. The number stamping, knob ends, and small soldered ring are all characteristic of that contract. The number range was from approximately #8500 to #13000. The medal originally had a red brass/ coppery slot brooch.

If issued for WW1, the issue was in 1942 or later.

Mike

I took another look at this. Initially I thought this was number 9471. But now the 1 looks like a feature of the medal and not a number. The stamping looks heavier. My examples have lighter struck numbers, more evenly aligned. Robbins medals show some distortion on the rear from numbering, but were numbered on the other side of the bottom leg.

Rings are a small diameter, but not as thick as the one pictured, or as poorly soldered.

The quality of the medal strike is suspicious. Compared to all three numbered contracts WW1 and WW2, the strike is less detailed.

Best guess is a later unnumbered strike with some creative number stamping.

Mike