Occupation Medal Ribbon Reversed on Bar

Jtski

I'm not sure if I read this somewhere or just making it up - is anyone aware of an unofficial history of wearing the Army or Navy Occupation Medal ribbon reversed (red side first) to indicate the recipient served in the Asian area as opposed to the European area (correct wear with black side first)? Appreciate any info.

Jeff

Yes, it used to be a thing and you will occasionally see it done that way with the colors reversed on the ribbon bars. No, the ribbons on the medals were not reversed, just the ribbon bars when worn by some PTO vets. 

I HAVE seen the pendants reversed by Japanese Occupation soldiers too. This would show the boat instead of the bridge when looking at the medal.

Allan

Rakkasan187

I can only echo what Allan has said regarding the ribbons worn in the reverse fashion on uniforms of those members who served in Occupied Japan, and I have also seen the reverse side of the Occupation Medal facing the front (The Sampan).

When I was stationed in Berlin with the Occupation Forces, as an NCO I was always correcting the Soldiers who were wearing the occupation ribbon the wrong way..

Attention to detail during Guard Mount was very important...

Leigh