Col. Harry ‘Paddy’ Flint Helmet - Where is it now

spitfirefan

spitfirefan

Studying Col. Flint of the famed 39th Infantry lately. As he created the famous ‘AAA-O’ nickname and started the practice of putting it on his helmet, I am wondering where his helmet ended up. Anyone know of a museum or other location where his helmet may be displayed?  I can’t find anything online. 

spitfirefan

That is really part of the question. Is anyone aware if it still exists and if so what museum or collection.  Was just curious if anyone on the Forum knew. 

spitfirefan

Just wondering if it ever appeared. Sorry for any confusion. It may in fact have been scrapped during or after the war. Just a question for the forum. 

Burning Hazard

Colonel Harry “Paddy” Flint was KIA in 1944 after getting wounded by sniper fire. It’s possible that his helmet was either recycled, lost in the battlefield, or maybe even buried with him.

Pat

In 1982-1983 I was in the Army and assigned to the 39th Infantry (3/39th), 9th Infantry Division stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA.  For a short period I was assigned to its' small G2 section (intelligence) which consisted of me, a buck sergeant, a Master Sergeant, and a 1st Lieutenant.  LTC Jack Keane (later U.S. Army Chief-of-Staff) was commanding.  Anyway the G2 section was in charge of keeping the personal effects of Colonel Flint taken off his body.  They did not include, of course, his wedding ring and items such as that.  There was a special safe in the G2 office where they were stored.  The Master Sergeant, who was a 9th Infantry Vietnam vet by the way, once opened the safe and showed me all the items.  I remember it contained small items.  The biggest item was his pocket notebook but nothing at all like a helmet.  So I'm going with Burning Hazard and assuming that it was most probably recycled at some point.

CG