War Souvenier Presentation Japanese Katana

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

Thought this was interesting!

Presentation Japanese NCO katana with matching numbers and in excellent condition. Attached to the scabbard is a period presentation plaque reading
Presented To / Captain R. P. Allison / By / H.Q.B.M.A. Malaya 1945
HQBMA is HeadQuarters British Military Administration under British General Mountbatten.
British Lord Mountbatten found a stash of swords in Malaya and had them presented to officers on his staff with a paper presentation note. This presentation is unique though as Captain Ralph Allison R.E.M.E. Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers. Killed in Action, Burma Feb. 6, 1944 age 26. KIA at The Battle of the Admin Box (Battle of Ngakyedauk or the Battle of Sinzweya). He is buried Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield, England.

HQBMA (2).jpg

HQBMA (3).jpg

HQBMA (4).jpg

That is superb.  I’ve never seen another like it.

Just for clarity, the recipient was killed in 1944, and this sword was presented the following year?

Or am I reading that wrong?

wartimecollectables.com

Yes, exactly. Others I have found have identical plaques, including one in Imperial War Museum. I assume Mountbatten knew him or had been on his staff in Burma when killed and this one went to family.

I've never seen anything like that and I watch out for Japanese items. I had the same questions about dates. I almost wonder if the family would want it - although a presentation from Mountbatten is probably something you don't say no to. (But maybe you sell it).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...