Solid OD cover, used

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

Found two of these covers in a stack of Mitchell and ERDL covers bought surplus by the local Army Navy store 

they were bought and boxed decades ago.. most likely, an assumption, all sold at the same DRMO/unit .. back when local DRMOs held sales…

my point being these two were most definitely used covers.. 

both covers are unmarked that I can see and show heavy use

I like the look regardless of when they were used

1483789F-07E4-4887-8555-6C6407EB9AB1.jpeg

9FD5C907-B13F-4B27-80AB-320A5CBEE1A5.jpeg

23836FE1-0675-4BFB-A341-F4EC5CE1EECF.jpeg

Radio Operator

Great setup and nice used cover! I like the look of the OD covers as well even if they are a bit controversial. I have one on a similar set up with green chinstraps, as there is an older thread on here that has a picture from early Vietnam with some US soldiers wearing these. 

Awesome cover and set up! 

A post from USMF member Harlan on December 14, 2011. Sounds like he obtained this info from an eBay buyer prior to 2011. Looks like it’s been reposted several times in the forum for reference. Not doubting him but it would be great if someone had the capability to verify this Wear Point Museum collection inventory number. 

"Original GI, M1 Helmet Cover in Olive Drab (OD). These were used very early in the Vietnam war by U.S. Military Advisors and by RVN troops. This pattern helmet cover (which is unmarked) has perplexed M1 Helmet collectors for many years but has recently been authenticated as GI issue by the curators at West Point. This exact pattern cover is currently on display at the West Point Museum (collection inventory # 17926ff). The description states that it is circa 1956 -59."

Of course that was referring to just one example of an OD cover. As the overall history could cover decades, earlier or later. 

phantomfixer

generally speaking, all the threads on the forum had one question in common..."has anyone seen or have a used cover?"     there are pics out there of them in use, and many NOS covers found, but few if any turn up with wear to them...

so figured I would post the worn covers...

26 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

generally speaking, all the threads on the forum had one question in common..."has anyone seen or have a used cover?"     there are pics out there of them in use, and many NOS covers found, but few if any turn up with wear to them...

so figured I would post the worn covers...

Absolutely… yours seems to have the perfect fade to it. Way cooler than the fresh, out of the box, OD shade.