vintage 12 inch Gi joes

jeeplover

Another cool thing was that I provided some technical assistance for the 2002 and 2004 GI Joe Convention figures.  My "payment", if you will, was the figures!  And I didn't have to go to the convention.  But what is really cool is that my name is on the boxes in the "THANKS" section (3rd one down - Charlie Jones). So that was kind of cool.  I played with GI Joes as a kid (starting in 1964) and then got to participate so many years later.

20220608_082241.jpg

20220608_082322.jpg

20220608_082446.jpg

20220608_082524.jpg

20220608_082556.jpg

aerialbridge

That is one sweet lil GI Julia her floral cammy jammies.  Congratulations to you and your family!  And she's gesturing either she's #1 or making a point with her finger- clearly a born leader.   That picture of you and the other reenactors on the Bofors is too cool, great display with the box art.   And in the Shore Patrol jeep, you're the guy driving the one with the 50 cal, right?  And getting your name on the box for the 40th Anniversary Battle of Leyte Gulf set?   And they gave you both of those sets, too?   Really nice.    That Japanese captain really looks like the 1966 SOTW original Japanese-- a nice filler since they're over $200 now just for the figure.   Actually, not much difference since that 40th anniversary set is going for $350-400.  I see you've kept both captain's headgear wrapped-  is that a fore and aft cap the Japanese has?  And I see the American captain's ribbons include the Navy Cross , DSM, and Silver Star, nice detail.   Speaking of names and art, you probably know you have the same name as one of America's greatest animators-  but he went by Chuck instead of Charlie. 

i am speechless very cool. congrats on the grand baby. i should get my snow troopers goggles tomorrow. when he is all set up i will snap some pictures of him complete, 

On 6/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, aerialbridge said:

That is one sweet lil GI Julia her floral cammy jammies.  Congratulations to you and your family!  And she's gesturing either she's #1 or making a point with her finger- clearly a born leader.   That picture of you and the other reenactors on the Bofors is too cool, great display with the box art.   And in the Shore Patrol jeep, you're the guy driving the one with the 50 cal, right?  And getting your name on the box for the 40th Anniversary Battle of Leyte Gulf set?   And they gave you both of those sets, too?   Really nice.    That Japanese captain really looks like the 1966 SOTW original Japanese-- a nice filler since they're over $200 now just for the figure.   Actually, not much difference since that 40th anniversary set is going for $350-400.  I see you've kept both captain's headgear wrapped-  is that a fore and aft cap the Japanese has?  And I see the American captain's ribbons include the Navy Cross , DSM, and Silver Star, nice detail.   Speaking of names and art, you probably know you have the same name as one of America's greatest animators-  but he went by Chuck instead of Charlie. 

Thanks.  What she's saying with her hand is "ROCK AND ROLL!" 

On the jeep, I am the driver, and the officer in khakis. The other guy is Dave Spencer and he is the one that befriended Larry and he brought him within our circle. For the M3, I'm one of the guys in behind the gun (just a helmet really), and one of the guys on the ground, not sure which one.  Yes, the 2 convention Joes, I haven't touched; leaving them pristine.  And growing up watching WB Cartoons and seeing Charles M Jones or Chuck Jones, was pretty cool, although my middle initial is not M.

If you look at Larry's website in the purchase section, I'm in 2 of the prints : Clearing The Vierville Draw and I'll See You In St. Lo!  Many of our guys in our reenacting group are in those and the Ever Forward and The Stonewall Brigade prints, in addition to some of the GI Joe boxes. It was a lot of fun doing those.

here is my mountain trooper. very proud of him he is very cool. i think the only upgrade i can do is get a better ice ax. mine is missing the tip (lol grow up) the majority i have seen on ebay are broken to. when i grew up playing with the small joes i always hated they had all of the stuff on there body you could not use this is why i like the original joes.

100_4112.JPG

100_4113.JPG

100_4114.JPG

100_4115.JPG

100_4116.JPG

100_4117.JPG

100_4118.JPG

100_4119.JPG

Wow, thanks for the serious flashbacks.

I played with my hand-me-down Squad pretty hard, but at least I learned how to make hasty defensive positions on OC NJ's sand dunes as a 10 year old, thanks to these guys and a couple of Field Manuals swiped from my older brothers.

The lone son of the Emperor got so lonely, he was drafted to work with the other Joes (kinda like 'Fuji' in McHale's Navy). 

I was equal opportunity inclusive before it was woke-popular.

Still have bits and pieces surfacing as I drain my swamp.

4 hours ago, aerialbridge said:

Great set.  I can't tell what's missing on the axe. 

i did not catch it at first then i studied the carded figures and the displays on the action solider web site. this first photo is a complete one. it is all sliver so it is a different set.. the second one is like mine missing the end.

example.jpg

example 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
aerialbridge

A fuzz head ginger Joe is a must for any collection.   I've got one with a beard and I think one without.   Have you seen any of the painted head gingers where the paint discolors to kind of a bizarre, silver, greenish shade,  if I remember right?  Not mine, but here's King Joe VIII.   He's probably holding a wedding (or beheading) announcement.   IMO, would look better if he was a ginger.  Also not mine, but the other Joe here probably had a Conquistador father and a Scottish mother. 

Joe the 8th.jpg

Conquistador joe.jpg

aerialbridge

For the 4th of July,  the Spirit of '76 American Continental Army Bluecoat and a British Redcoat.  From my collection, made in HK in 1997, ironically the year they lost their freedom.   As Cdr. McGonagle used to say,  "A word to the wise should suffice".   Freedom is not free, not by a long shot.

GI JOE SPIRIT OF 76 REVOLUTIONARY WAR.jpg

aerialbridge

Great display! Thanks for putting it together for the 4th.  You covered all the grunt bases, right down to the Devil Dog Dobie.  Some dog name suggestions with a great pedigree.  (We once had a Dachshund named "Arno".)

War Dogs.jpg

aerialbridge
12 hours ago, 12thengr said:

Thanks! You know how hard it is to get the Joes to co-operate!🤣

And how.   Trying to keep the Joes on their toes is like herding cats.   Except unlike cats, Joes never defy the laws of gravity, and their favorite battle stance is the prone face plant.  When you put them in formation as you carefully did, one mistep and the formation turns into accidental dominos.   Now that would be something for Guiness, the world's largest domino cascade, but with full battle rattle GI Joes.    Happy 4th, to you and your Joe platoon!

• 3 weeks later...

Three Gulf War Joes. The second photo is the 'before shot', illustrating aerialbridges comment that the Joes 'go to' position is the face plant. I gotta admit tho, this trooper lost his pistol and helmet but kept hold of his cigarette. Very impressive.

IMG_20220722_100322.jpg

IMG_20220722_100207.jpg

On 7/23/2022 at 6:43 PM, aerialbridge said:

Two more USMC 1960s sets.   Marine Medic and Marine Mine Sweeper.

MARINE MEDIC.jpg

MARINE LAND MINE.jpg

Joes 'mine' appears to to be a wheel or gear from an early erector set.😆

aerialbridge
2 hours ago, 12thengr said:

Joes 'mine' appears to to be a wheel or gear from an early erector set.😆

Good eye! I noticed that as well,  kind of unusual since this seller is pretty high profile among Joe collectors that frequent ebay.  At least he didn't use a Lincoln Log!  Here's what the actual mine looks like, a flat slilver metal disk and I believe 3 came with the set.  This astronaut set and the Marine mine detector used the same battery powered mine detector and mines.  The Marine set had the canvas backpack to carry it, the astronaut the black elastic strap seen here. Wonder why they called it "missile" and not "mine" recovery?   Calling that disk a missile is a stretch.  Maybe a slug for the pop machine,  but.  😜

missile reovery.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

i am not dead just in the middle of moving. when i get situated i will post pictures of the ginger joe and my new talking sotw. apparently he is from a sears exclusive set. when i got him he did not have much to say. he opened up or i should say i opened him and fixed him so he has a lot to say. he is supposed to say eight things i can only get him to say 7. i have a friend who hordes stuff me and him have traded and sold military items to each other for years. i asked him if he had any joes 12 inch joes (he has almost every small one it is crazy) he showed me he has a frogman in the box the suit is getting hard but it displays well. the he took me to his u-haul truck buried in the woods on his property and it was a mother load he has a space capsule in the box the capture copter and the irwin duck and scout car. those are the high light items. the other things are several outfits 3 more joes and lots of random stuff. when i get situated we are going to do  a big trade for it all. i hope everyone is well and all is good. go joe

RANDALL 1953

Like many of you I had a lot of the Joes and sets as a child in the 1960s Years ago I joined the Official GI Joe Collectors Club which I think was based out of Texas. As a member you could purchase limited edition reissues that were close to some of the harder to find boxed originals. I still have some of those including the Talking Soldier, Talking Marine, and Talking Adventure Team Commander. They are all still mint in the box. They seem to be hard to find now.

Joe.jpg