vintage 12 inch Gi joes

jeeplover

triplecanopy

Here is an unopened 'Soldiers of the World' Long Range Recon Patrol set still in the box. Sorry bout the glare. Box has never been opened.  I don't know how many of these were produced. I don't believe very common.

IMG_2825.JPG

triplecanopy

I do have a question: The title of this thread is vintage 12 inch Gi joes; so are "Soldiers of the World" and "Ultimate Soldiers" series

which are also 12" figures included?

Blacksmith
16 minutes ago, triplecanopy said:

I do have a question: The title of this thread is vintage 12 inch Gi joes; so are "Soldiers of the World" and "Ultimate Soldiers" series

which are also 12" figures included?

Very polite to ask, and while I’m not the OP, I’d say “heck yeah”.  

All are enjoyable to look at in my book - and honestly, I am just thankful that companies are still making military-themed toys.

I don’t know what my childhood would have been without them.  I had a plastic M-16, that I carried everywhere.  Ya never know when the organics are going to hit the oscillator…

I agree with Blacksmith. Enjoy any of the GI Joes and the 1/6th figures. Dragon made some real nice ones as well. I have a few of the Ultimate figures. Also a P51. Have the Harley WLA figure Joe with WLA motorcycle. Also a 1/6 German motorcycle. Only regret was I wasnt close to a store when they discontinued the 1/6  figures and some of the smaller planes and vehicles

triplecanopy

OK, Thanks. Just wanted to make sure.

I started looking for more figures and remembered this one which I think is a real "Joe".

I once used one of these as a training aid to teach students the correct body position during freefall. It is hard to

demonstrate standing upright.

IMG_2826.JPG

aerialbridge
11 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

Need to jump into this thread as I have had a really big box in the attic that I opened up for the first time in a decade this past week.  Christmas 1967 my brother was in Viet Nam imbedded with the 101st as a combat photographer. Mike is the one with the hammer in the photo below. the family received a package, and my gift was an Army GI Joe w/ Bivouac - Gear. The other photo is me having set it up along with the .30 cal in a fox hole a few days after Christmas. I still have the Joe and some of the original equipment.

Played with all of it hard and dirty. Unfortunately, I eventually shot off the original helmet with my BB Gun at about 30 ft. Proud of that shot! The helmet didn't pass the ballistic test.  Joe's rubber head wasn't hurt a bit.  A few times I caught my sister introducing him to "dates" with her Barbie. She was older than me so not much I could do but complain to my mom and she just said, "Tell Peggy to give him back when she is done playing". No way I was going to say anything about it to my dad. I was only 7 but could tell this needed to be kept between me my mom and Peggy. He probably knew anyways.

Great story and the pix of you at Christmas 1967 with your GI Joe tent pitched and the one of your older brother in Vietnam who sent it to you are tops.   And good BB shot, specially since it didn't crack Joe's noggin!  I still have my tent, but I think I pitched it once before I lost too many pegs to do it again right.  That $30 for somebody's near mint collection 41 years ago,  has been a good investment besides great additions to your collection.  The figures are all hard to upgrade,  soldier, marine, pilot, deep sea diver,  arctic set,  and crash crew fireman.    That is the nicest original 1967 Panther Jet that I've seen, and those other few box sets are like new.  They make a decent heavy mortar set in the early 2000 reissues.  You can't beat the GI graphics as Blacksmith said.  Hasbro really put a lot of time and detail into the box art.   Here's a recent eBay sale of an "Irwin Jet" for $900, that was made by the company that produced the GI Joes for Hasbro, probably about 1970 and with its original box.  But I'd rather have yours than this one with the box, even if it is rarer.   This eBay seller "joezeta" is one of the bigger GI Joe sellers on eBay and if you were curious, and sent him a few pix of your Panther he could probably give you an estimate of what it's worth.    I'm guessing at least $600, and more if the sound-maker motor works.   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324872292619?hash=item4ba3e5c90b:g:dlsAAOSwR9xhiIMp

TOUGH TO FIND 1970's:

"ACTION TRANSPORTATION FOR DARING ADVENTURES "

THIS IS THE HURRICANE HUNTER !!  

BOX READS :  RUGGEDLY STYLED , OFFICIAL REGULATION JET PLANE.....AUTHENTICALLY DETAILED REPLICA OF THE REAL THING..... SCALED TO FIT 11-11'5" ACTION FIGURES,   MADE IN USA BY IRWIN CORP NY

SO IN 1967 HASBRO GRANTED IRWIN A LICENSE TO PRODUCE SOME VEHICLES FOR THEIR GI JOE LINE....   ONE OF THOSE VEHICLES WAS THE POPULAR BLUE PANTHER JET !!     

WELL,   WHEN THAT LICENSED EXPIRED  IRWIN WAS SMART AND PUT OUT A VERY SIMILAR DESIGN JET THIS TIME IN COOL COLORS ,  NO GI JOE OR HASBRO MARKINGS....  THEY OBVIOUSLY WANTED TO CASH IN ON THE 1970's ACTION FIGURE CRAZE.......   I'M SURE PLENTY OF ADVENTURE TEAM JOES ENJOYED THESE LATER PRODUCED JETS.....

AS MENTIONED VERY SIMILAR TO THE 1960's LICENSED VERSION....HOWEVER THIS ONE NEVER CAME WITH THE MOTOR REV/CLICKING GIZMO........

THE FRONT WHEEL/LANDING GEAR WAS NOW A MOLDED INTO THE BODY PART.....

RED LIGHTENING BOLTS ON THE SIDES OF THE WINGS ARE PRESENT....

ORIGINAL CANOPY SUFFERED SOME PLAY DAMAGE....SEE PICS,  NOT TERRIBLE AND STILL DISPLAYABLE....

I AM THROWING IN ONE OF MY MODERN MADE PANTHER JET CANOPIES.....RATHER THEN DRILL ANOTHER HOLE IN THE BODY I SIMPLY REMOVED THE REAR PEG ON MY CANOPY.......SO IT WILL INSTALL FROM THE FRONT AND LAY FLAT......  

EITHER ONE LOOKS GOOD , AND YOU GET BOTH !! 

WINGS SIMPLY ATTACH WITH 2 SUPPLIED SCREWS...

DUAL SIDED ORIGINAL INSTRUCTION SHEET / WARRANTY 

GOOD LUCK FINDING ONE OF THESE PLANES THESE DAYS.....AND  REALLY GOOD LUCK EVEN FINDING THIS BOX....

YOU SEE   75 BLUE JETS OR MORE FOR EVERY ONE OF THESE.....

irwin jeta.jpg

Irwin Jet.jpg

irwinjet2.jpg

irwin jet3.jpg

irwin jet4.jpg

irwin jet5.jpg

4 Hasbro Marine Joe's from late '90's early 2000's. Francis Pierce MOH awardee, Scout dog and handler, BAR gunner and a Navaho Code Talker (talks). Plus a shot of the Marines in the Chesterfield advert behind them.

IMG_20220518_112014.jpg

IMG_20220518_112235.jpg

Blacksmith
6 hours ago, 12thengr said:

4 Hasbro Marine Joe's from late '90's early 2000's. Francis Pierce MOH awardee, Scout dog and handler, BAR gunner and a Navaho Code Talker (talks). Plus a shot of the Marines in the Chesterfield advert behind them.

IMG_20220518_112014.jpg

IMG_20220518_112235.jpg

That dog handler one is great.

aerialbridge

Thanks, 12thengr and jeeplover.   Nope, the frogman suit is the 40th Anniversary Adventure Team reissue.  Tough to find an original scuba suit that isn't in shreds and discolored.  Old rubber don't age well.    Last week at my Home Depot there was a gent working in the garden dept wearing a ball cap with the Vietnam Service ribbon.   I thanked him and asked what branch, and was surprised when he said Navy, since my experience is you mostly meet Army or Marines.   Was even more surprised when he said he was UDT from '58 to '68  including Vietnam.  Got that man's number and taking him out for dinner and a living history lesson.

gi joe frogman 40th anniversary.jpg

Blacksmith

Wow, Aerialbridge, just wow!

Thank you for the pics - very nice collection.  

I mean, where to start… 

Seems like everybody else has been able to find the Japanese SOTW - bravo!

I really like the flight deck controller suit with the paddles - that’s hard to find.

Also groovin’ on the blue smock with the flag on it - will have to look that one up.

The shearling flight jacket is awesome - is that Hasbro?

Thank you again.

aerialbridge

Thanks, Blacksmith, old pal.    Don't feel bad,  my Japanese is a Cotswald from 1999, but in the 1966-era GI Joe Japanese uniform, helmet and pack.  The woman I was dating at the time, I mentioned before who was the Barbie collector and ebay dealer, she and I went to a show around 1999 of Barbies and GI Joes.   She bought a few Joes to display with her Barbies and a heavy bomber leather jacket with fur collar, from the same seller who made my flight jacket.  I picked up the Cotswald figure for about $10 and the full GI Joe Japanese uniform (tagged Japan, I think),   Hasbro "Backyard Patrol"  line of original NOS GI Joe Uniforms in plain plastic bags with a simple Hasbro cardstock stapled top, no graphics,  for $15.   She bought two of them-  Cotswald Japanese figures and the uniforms, boots, helmet and pack.  Now, I see the Japanese "Backyard Patrol" uniforms in the original bags going for $100 and over.   Pre- Wuflu as you may know, you could pick up a SOTW Japanese with full uniform and accessories in very good or better shape for a couple hundred, including hard to find Nambu pistol and bayonet.  Now, you'll spend $200 and up just for the figure.   The leather flight jacket is a one of a kind, hand-made, real leather and cost me about $90  23 years ago.    Glad I bought it,  I've not seen as nice a one since.   Which reminds me, I need to write her to see if she wants to sell the leather bomber jacket that she bought.   She owes me a solid-  a buddy of mine had a contact in the executive office of Mattel in Hawthorne, CA at the time and got her four or five of those pricey Barbie limited edition dolls back then- for free.  In particular she got one of those Action Man "eagle eye" figures in the German officer uniform, and two Japanese like the one I have.  We almost had a Japanese fireteam in her display case.  The carrier LSO with the paddles is one of my favorite sets. 

Blacksmith
1 hour ago, aerialbridge said:

Thanks, Blacksmith, old pal.    Don't feel bad,  my Japanese is a Cotswald from 1999, but in the 1966-era GI Joe Japanese uniform, helmet and pack.  The woman I was dating at the time, I mentioned before who was the Barbie collector and ebay dealer, she and I went to a show around 1999 of Barbies and GI Joes.   She bought a few Joes to display with her Barbies and a heavy bomber leather jacket with fur collar, from the same seller who made my flight jacket.  I picked up the Cotswald figure for about $10 and the full GI Joe Japanese uniform (tagged Japan, I think),   Hasbro "Backyard Patrol"  line of original NOS GI Joe Uniforms in plain plastic bags with a simple Hasbro cardstock stapled top, no graphics,  for $15.   She bought two of them-  Cotswald Japanese figures and the uniforms, boots, helmet and pack.  Now, I see the Japanese "Backyard Patrol" uniforms in the original bags going for $100 and over.   Pre- Wuflu as you may know, you could pick up a SOTW Japanese with full uniform and accessories in very good or better shape for a couple hundred, including hard to find Nambu pistol and bayonet.  Now, you'll spend $200 and up just for the figure.   The leather flight jacket is a one of a kind, hand-made, real leather and cost me about $90  23 years ago.    Glad I bought it,  I've not seen as nice a one since.   Which reminds me, I need to write her to see if she wants to sell the leather bomber jacket that she bought.   She owes me a solid-  a buddy of mine had a contact in the executive office of Mattel in Hawthorne, CA at the time and got her four or five of those pricey Barbie limited edition dolls back then- for free.  In particular she got one of those Action Man "eagle eye" figures in the German officer uniform, and two Japanese like the one I have.  We almost had a Japanese fireteam in her display case.  The carrier LSO with the paddles is one of my favorite sets. 

Indeed brother, that leather flight jacket is exquisite.  

Pretty soon, the SOTW Nambu pistol will be more expensive than a real T-14.  

😂

i had the hardest time finding the bayonet and a helmet that was not broken.  the medal to. right now cotsworld has the backyard patrol for 139 and it has the japanese sotw carded for 899. they have all the sotw carded except the french guy.

aerialbridge

Your 6-figure SOTW collection (that's well into 5 figure$ to find today) is hard to upgrade if its all original parts.   Those carded SOTW sets are really tough to find.  Only the Japanese Backyard Patrol uniform and helmet on ebay now for $125 that I picked up for about a 1/10 that 23 years ago.   Those cards are a good checklist for everything that should be in a complete set, if you don't have a collector guide handy.   I'd like to complete my SOTW one day when I have the room to permanently display them in a dust-free case.    Couldn't find an online pic of the French card, just the set with the figure.  The box (card) art is great. The French one resembles GWB in need of a shave.

GI Joe SOTW Australian.jpg