vintage 12 inch Gi joes

jeeplover

aerialbridge

Those talking SOTW head Joes were marketed as American Joes, right?   I'd like to see the original box or packaging they came in.   What are the phrases he says? 

aerialbridge

They did a really nice job with the Collector's Club boxes and figures.   I picked up a boxed, bagged Talking Astronaut last year, for about 1/3-1/4 of what an original would run.

• 3 weeks later...

i got all of these from my friend in trade. they have been in the back of a broken down uhaul on his farm the last 20 years. when i get established i will clean them all up and take better pictures. i also got a space capsule in the box and the iron knight tank

100_4321.JPG

100_4322.JPG

Those should clean up nicely and be fun to restore.   The Irwin Duck isn't something you see every day, or the copter for that matter.    Look forward to seeing pix of the space capsule in the box and the tank.   Is it the 1969 glow in the dark version and still have the handles?

GI joe Duck.jpg

it is not the glow in the dark one. it is still in the rafters of the barn that is why i did not get pictures. here is the tank. when i got it it was smashed and the tip of the barrel was mangled and missing a screw. i used boiling water to fix it. that duck in the box is apparently one of the hardest things to find very nice

100_4323.JPG

100_4324.JPG

100_4325.JPG

100_4326.JPG

100_4327.JPG

100_4328.JPG

100_4329.JPG

The tank looks great!  When you get a chance, if you have Tanker Joe, preferably Action man with a blond beard, I'd like to see a picture of him in the tank, for some positive vibes. 

here is the rest of the stuff i got from my friend. the frogman suit is original as is the box. the suit was on the figure. i would have left it if it was in mint or near mint but it is rough. i did not want it to ruin the figure. the box is rough to but original. going through all of the stuff there are quiet a few complete sets or only missing a few parts. 2 of the figures must have never been plated with because i can barley pull them apart almost like the elastic is brand new. the sotw figure needs to be restored.

100_4330.JPG

100_4331.JPG

100_4332.JPG

100_4333.JPG

100_4334.JPG

100_4335.JPG

100_4336.JPG

Yup, that's it, the Tank Commander in his tank.   I happened to post this the same time you posted the rest of your haul, so I can edit this.   Might be some good stuff in that foot locker.  Yeah, sadly but unexpectedly the frog man suit looks pretty rough.   Could be worse though, like a lot of man made rubber just disintegrates over time and nothing you can do about it.  I see what looks like a grey air police radio and a nice propellant gun for the astronaut, it'd be amazing if the wand was in there unbroken.  I have my propellant gun but only about 60% of my wand from 56 years ago.  This video popped up right after the Tank video you linked.   Pretty impressive as far as a GI Joe collection that grew from a sideline of fixing and restringing Joes for others.   Just in case we start to think our collections are the cat's meow.

Oddball.jpg

oddball2.jpg

i just learned that if you are like me and just starting out collecting these watch out for fighting yank items from mego apparently they are made from the same mold as the Hasbro stuff. 

11 hours ago, Jim McCauley said:

Banzai!

Ah, sugoi Nihon rikugun sentoki desu-yo!    Nice example,   I should have picked one up a couple years ago when they cost 1/2 what they do now.    Ah, shikataganai-yo.

14 hours ago, jeeplover said:

the japanese sotw is the crown of the line. apparently when he came out he was a shelf warmer.

Yes he is, I'm going to have to break down and buy one.   Mr. McC's that he posted is still keeping a warm shelf, since he's guarding the essential ingredient of Irish coffee.  No sake for him. Sort of like his Axis brother guarding the heavy water plant at Vemork but with whipped cream.

I just noticed that Jim's well preserved Nihon rikugun sentoki does have his pistol belt, cartidge pouches and holster (Nambu pistol there?) but I don't see his bayonet?  If pistol and bayo there, he's 100%.   Maybe he took off the belt to have a belt or a coffee break.   I guess the fact Jameson is there confirms they were Axis sympathizers during the war.   😁

Jim McCauley
On 9/29/2022 at 11:47 AM, aerialbridge said:

Yes he is, I'm going to have to break down and buy one.   Mr. McC's that he posted is still keeping a warm shelf, since he's guarding the essential ingredient of Irish coffee.  No sake for him. Sort of like his Axis brother guarding the heavy water plant at Vemork but with whipped cream.

I just noticed that Jim's well preserved Nihon rikugun sentoki does have his pistol belt, cartidge pouches and holster (Nambu pistol there?) but I don't see his bayonet?  If pistol and bayo there, he's 100%.   Maybe he took off the belt to have a belt or a coffee break.   I guess the fact Jameson is there confirms they were Axis sympathizers during the war.   😁

Alas, he was missing his Nambu, Order of the Golden Kite Medal and his bayonet but I bought some reproductions to make my Japanese Army fighter complete. Other than that, he's in better shape than me, but after all, I'm three years older! ;)

aerialbridge
18 hours ago, Jim McCauley said:

Alas, he was missing his Nambu, Order of the Golden Kite Medal and his bayonet but I bought some reproductions to make my Japanese Army fighter complete. Other than that, he's in better shape than me, but after all, I'm three years older! ;)

How could I forget about the Order of the Kite medal, since medals are my main thing.  I was 6 (90% sure it was Christmas '65,  slight chance it was '64)  when I got my action soldier and 7 when I got my  Russian, the summer that the SOTWs  came out.   From 1964 to 67, we lived in the house on Yuma St. in  American University Park, N.W. , D.C. that was the home of Gen.  Tony "Nuts' McAuliffe's family during WW2.  Kind of cool years later when I appreciated the fact that I got my GI Joe Action Soldier under a Christmas tree in the general's old living room,  20 years after he would have had his post-WWII Christmas reunion with his family in that living room n 1945.  Still have both and their uniforms in very good shape like yours, and about a dozen other cards that I was pretty careful with overall.    This is them.   Everything here I got new when I was a widdle kid, except for the M1 and the belt on the Russian.  I still have Joe's original rifle and the white parade M1 with my original dress Marine uniform, but the barrels on both are broke off at the stock. A few years back before the prices went nutz,  I picked up donor rifles for both that had other things broken, but good barrels and will restore my 2 childhood ones  with the trusty Exacto.  From about 1969 or 70, the two Joes and their accessories sat in an old 60's lunchbox (thermos gone) and moved from garages in DC, to Maryland, to Miami, to LA, until they were dug out 30 years later in 1998.  It's a miracle they survived not getting tossed or given away, or moth-eaten, plastic melt marks, etc.  But I guess it were meant to be.   And since then, the collection has grown bigly. The Russian came from Sears, just like that-  no accessories and no belt.  I wonder if they had a Japanese SOTW  at Sears that day and I chose the Russian instead?  That was around the time that movie,  "The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming", came out, so that was more on my mind than how much the Japanese would end up being worth.  Who knew.

My 2 Joes.png

aerialbridge

Hiya,   I'd say in today's global market,  for a figure only in excellent condition,  $250 to $350+.    For that figure with all complete, original accessories in excellent condition, you're looking at north of $450, and it can go a few hundred higher.   Pre WuFlu, you could pick up excellent figure, full battle rattle Japanese SOTW for $300.     I'm basing this on ebay, I haven't been to a show in 20 years.  Others might have opinions on prices for in person GI Joe or action figure shows/conventions.    Probably some good deals to be had there, or hit or miss at a local swap meet, or an estate sale if you got the gas $ and the time.  I just paid $6.79 for regular in So Cal.   No such thing as "joy riding" out here unless you got bucks to burn.

So, what happened to your old SOTW Japanese Joe?   Anybody looking to sell one, feel free to PM me.

GI Joe SOTW Japanese.jpg

GI Joe SOTW Japanese 2.jpg

olivedrab1970

I have been collecting 1964-1974 G.I. Joe's here lately more than ever, I have somehow a collection of around 40 and always grabbing more! I will post some pics on the thread soon, I have a green hair, with green lip etc. Joe that I guess was a rare run as well.

Robin-