Painted helmets in Korea

BEAT_NAVY

Hello, I am looking for images of painted helmets during the Korean war didn't see anything about them on the forum. Thanks!

27 minutes ago, BEAT_NAVY said:

Hello, I am looking for images of painted helmets during the Korean war didn't see anything about them on the forum. Thanks!

Do you mean Camouflage painted helmets or Snow White painted?

Ranks, camo, snow white. Doesn't matter to me!

12 hours ago, patches said:

Do you mean Camouflage painted helmets or Snow White painted?

8 minutes ago, 644td said:

Scott that’s a sweet lid

Yeah, I sold it a few years back to a member of this forum. One of those I look back on and think: "should I have actually sold this one?"

I thought it was the mitsubishi logo at first. I wonder what it is for.image.png.9c79ea7caae053ac87bb075220689af9.png

39 minutes ago, Bugme said:

Interesting insignia.

spitfirefan

Did follow-me bars continue use in Korea broadly.  Or only limited use.  Also, were nets used much in Korea (slightly off subject)?

Burning Hazard

Scarce 3-panel medic helmet used in Korea.

Official 1949 protocol eliminated painting medic roundels on helmets, yet the practice was still continued well into Vietnam. 

3 Panel Medic helmets Korean War 2.jpg

3 Panel Medic helmets Korean War.jpg

1 hour ago, Burning Hazard said:

1st Infantry? Korean War photo

ROK Helmets Korean War.jpg

That’s the Korean army 1st infantry division patch maybe he is an attached advisor? 

Burning Hazard
4 hours ago, 326thAEB said:

That’s the Korean army 1st infantry division patch maybe he is an attached advisor? 

I think you're onto something.

I managed to find a ROK Infantry Division insignias and fit. It's interesting that each ROK infantry division has it's own insignia and tac markings on helmets, I honestly never knew about these before.

Pat

ROK Infantry Divisions.JPG

1 hour ago, Burning Hazard said:

I think you're onto something.

I managed to find a ROK Infantry Division insignias and fit. It's interesting that each ROK infantry division has it's own insignia and tac markings on helmets, I honestly never knew about these before.

Pat

ROK Infantry Divisions.JPG

Late in the war (the general consensus is around late 52 early 53) ROK army units used a series of shapes on the back of the helmet for each division. To date no one knows exactly what they mean. The monk division used 3 bars to the rear, while the 6th division used a horizontal bar which is often confused with An NCO bar. Here is an example of an original Monk division helmet 

AF58EEDB-1139-4DC7-AEB4-ACF5E3241A5B.jpeg

8BF25B28-E0E2-4512-AB34-3E61C279549D.jpeg

Here is a 6th division soldier wearing their horizontal bar tactical marking in 1953, on the side is the 6 pointed star used by the division. 

C42227D7-89E0-4C4F-98ED-B42C29A5BD14.jpeg

Burning Hazard
1 hour ago, 326thAEB said:

Late in the war (the general consensus is around late 52 early 53) ROK army units used a series of shapes on the back of the helmet for each division. To date no one knows exactly what they mean. The monk division used 3 bars to the rear, while the 6th division used a horizontal bar which is often confused with An NCO bar. Here is an example of an original Monk division helmet 

That's a beauty of a helmet!

1 hour ago, 326thAEB said:

And here is a ROK 25th division tactical sign 

very interesting tac marks, I have some original footage reels of unknown tac marks used by ROK in Korea, likely would of gotten mistaken for WWII.

Pat

unknow helmet 2 korean war.jpg

ROK Helmets Triangles.jpg

M1 Liner Star 2.jpg

M1 Liner Star.jpg

• 1 year later...
Double_Canister

The ROK practice extends as early as late 1951. There are quite a few photos of the 9th Division with regiment and division markings on their helmets being inspected by Van Fleet and Synghman Rhee.

The tactical markings and their usage seem to vary a lot between divisions. For instance, as far as I could tell, the 8th Division painted regiment and I think what are  interrupted “follow me” stripes on the backs of their helmets in addition to color division/regiment insignia on the sides. The 9th division seems to have not used follow me stripes but you can occasionally see regiment insignia painted on the back. The ROK Field artillery battalions seem to have painted one side with a battalion symbol and the other side with the division they were supporting. It’s all a fascinating mess.

E6E3482D-AD4B-48A0-AB09-5B8B7C59F927.jpeg