1887 Pickett's Division Reunion Badge

cylekostello

Hi all! Thought I’d share my newest pick up. I broke one of my cardinal rules and bought an unnamed piece. But how often do you come across a badge owned by a man who made Pickett’s Charge.

Pickett’s Charge needs no introduction. It’s the arguably the emblematic event of the Civil War. The image of the rebel legions coming on like waves with their banners fluttering continues to loom large in the southern consciousness.

Pictured is a very early (predates the formation of the UCV) badge for the Pickett’s Division Association. This particular badge was minted for the 1887 Gettysburg Reunion, thought to be the first reunion with both Northern and Southern veterans. Men of the Philadelphia Brigade hosted Pickett’s vets in a gesture of reconciliation.

On the front is a Rebel in a slouch hat. While the reverse has a knapsack, forage cap and star. The quality is rather low, perhaps indicative of Southern production.

Perhaps my favorite part of this badge is the GAR eagle. It’s easy to imagine a Yank breaking off the top of his GAR medal and giving it to one of Pickett’s men as a gesture of reconciliation.

The badge is incredibly rare. Only about 300 of Pickett’s men attended the reunion. The only other example i’ve seen is in Gettysburg collector Kevin Himber’s collection.

At any rate. This is a striking memento from one of the most famous moments in American military history.

278858060_5026309320768830_4208273726737989300_n.jpg

278841258_5026309330768829_1412215100072097911_n.jpg

wartimecollectables.com

That is killer!  I've seen several variations of this badge, here is one from a Georgia unit.
BUT never seen one from Pickett's Division.  That is a fantastic little badge!

Chatam Art (1).jpg

Chatam Art (3).jpg

cylekostello
14 minutes ago, 268th C.A. said:

That's a great piece! Congratulations ! My G Great Grandfather was at Gettysburg, Union on Culps Hill. 

Thanks! I've got a 1893 NY Gburg medal that belonged to a man in the 84th NY (14th Brooklyn). On the second day would've been up on Culps Hill with your Great x2 grandfather

5 minutes ago, wartimecollectables.com said:

That is killer!  I've seen several variations of this badge, here is one from a Georgia unit.
BUT never seen one from Pickett's Division.  That is a fantastic little badge!

Thanks Andrew! Saw this one on EB and I hit "buy it now" faster than you could blink.

It seems like the little white metal disc style of badge was popular in among early Confederate vets. While researching this one I found a similar one for an 1887 CV reunion in Macon.