Civil War cartridge box sling plate

Matt Richards

Matt Richards

I have a reproduction Civil War cartridge box and I'm trying to figure our the correct orientation of the eagle plate when mounting it on the sling. As a self-professed Civil War junkie, I feel rather stupid having to ask!

Do the plate's rear lugs align parallel with the sling (the eagle on the plate sits somewhat at an angle this way) or do they go diagonal so that the eagle on the plate is sitting straight up?

You may find some variation in the mounting as the slots were hand pierced/cut.Best thing I can suggest is look at all the old pics you can.

RON

The eagle should be straight up-and-down. This places the two loops at an angle to the strap. A leather lace is passed through the loops to hold the plate on. I didn't have a piece of leather handy when I attached mine so I used a wooden kitchen match. Still there 32 years later!

Tom thumbsup.gif

The eagle should be straight up-and-down. This places the two loops at an angle to the strap. A leather lace is passed through the loops to hold the plate on. I didn't have a piece of leather handy when I attached mine so I used a wooden kitchen match. Still there 32 years later!

Tom thumbsup.gif

I have an original done in that style that has been there for over 100 years.. My repop was tied on, but I have a couple of the original issue leather straps used to hold the plate on.. Looks like the tie on a soft knapsack, but was issued with the plates for the breastplate and box. I'll see if I can find them.. Got them from an old Bannerman's bundle. Mine is straight up and down, loops pierced thru the leather.

Fins.

Matt Richards

Thanks guys!

I'll need to rustle up some little leather thongs. I have the box plate held on with a bit of brass wire through the rear lugs.

... I have the box plate held on with a bit of brass wire through the rear lugs.

That may be the way it was originally done: my brother in Pennsylvania found a cartridge sling breastplate and sold it to an experienced collector in Gettysburg and my brother told the guy that there had been a brass wire type pin on the back with ends bent over but my brother had left that at home when he took the plate to the buyer. Based on my brother's description of the pin, the buyer said it sounded like an original fastener. Now everything I see online references using a piece of leather, but I'm not sure I consider that the last word since it is mostly referenced on re-enactor pages, which all still seem to think that all Union soldiers used only blue canteen covers. Does anyone have a definitive period source about how these were attached?

I know that I have a sling with the smaller (AKA "Burnside") plate attached, and if memory serves, it is attached via a leather strip (and the eagle is straight up and down).

I posed this question to one who show know, as probably the foremost CW collector in the country, and here was his response:

"It is a leather strip which was actually issued, occasionally one sees little leather wedges. Wires would cut the cut uniform and are too narrow for the size of the loops."

So there it is...

Melanie

I know that I have a sling with the smaller (AKA "Burnside") plate attached, and if memory serves, it is attached via a leather strip (and the eagle is straight up and down).

I posed this question to one who show know, as probably the foremost CW collector in the country, and here was his response:

"It is a leather strip which was actually issued, occasionally one sees little leather wedges. Wires would cut the cut uniform and are too narrow for the size of the loops."

So there it is...

Melanie

Thanks Melanie: based on your CW background, I'll consider that a definitive answer.