Ordnance Request for 69th NY Vol.

I found this digging around for something else. I think I got this from Dixie about 50 years ago but maybe not. I know these were common at one time and some of you have several but this is the only one I have. I liked it because it's the Fighting 69th, a NY volunteer group made up of mainly Irish . Since I'm Irish and knew O'Connor's and Mohony's as a kid, I had to have it. 
Interesting, they were still armed with .69 smooth bore rifles, even then . 

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010009.JPG

dunmore1774

Very cool,  I always heard units from the Irish Brigade use .69 buck and ball, but no one ever had any sources for it.  Probably lots of converted M1816 muskets used.  

3 hours ago, dunmore1774 said:

Very cool,  I always heard units from the Irish Brigade use .69 buck and ball, but no one ever had any sources for it.  Probably lots of converted M1816 muskets used.  

I believe they were Model 1842 Muskets. They were great up to 100 yards but after that , not much. So long as you were fighting close in, they were effective but in open fields, you were vulnerable to rifled Enfields . I'm going to get a frame for it before it gets damaged.  

Rakkasan187

Gunbb,,

Really like this document and the acquisition of the "buck and ball" ammunition.. 

If I may be permitted to add to your post...

When I was the curator of the US Army NCO Museum we did an exhibit focusing on the 69th Irish Brigade at Antietam crossing the cornfield. They just received the order to drop packs and prepare to advance.

Here are some images of the artifacts in the lookdown case and some other items. We included a "buck and ball" cartridge as well as other artifacts..

The purpose of this exhibit was to show the Chevrons worn by NCOs during this period in American Military History. 

All the work was done in house by myself, the director and two Soldiers. The painting on the back wall was done by a spouse of a Soldier at the Sergeant's Major Academy. We used a lot of repurposed wood pallets for the side wall and shingles, the floor was a combination of hamster cage sawdust, cleaned dirt, brown paint, and the corn field mounds of dirt was expanding foam. We found the corn stalks at a hobby shop and put sections of PVC pipe into the foam to make the cornstalks higher in the exhibit, and then we placed the Soldiers in the cornfield.  We constantly upgraded the exhibit and added minor details to the mannequins.

Hope everyone enjoys the images

Best regards, stay safe

Leigh 

69th 2 .jpg

69th Irish Brigade at Antietam.jpg

69th 3 .jpg

0407161344a.jpg

0407161403.jpg

0401161424.jpg

DSCF1640.JPG

DSCF1639.JPG

DSCF1546.JPG

10 minutes ago, Rakkasan187 said:

Gunbb,,

Really like this document and the acquisition of the "buck and ball" ammunition.. 

If I may be permitted to add to your post...

When I was the curator of the US Army NCO Museum we did an exhibit focusing on the 69th Irish Brigade at Antietam crossing the cornfield. They just received the order to drop packs and prepare to advance.

Here are some images of the artifacts in the lookdown case and some other items. We included a "buck and ball" cartridge as well as other artifacts..

The purpose of this exhibit was to show the Chevrons worn by NCOs during this period in American Military History. 

All the work was done in house by myself, the director and two Soldiers. The painting on the back wall was done by a spouse of a Soldier at the Sergeant's Major Academy. We used a lot of repurposed wood pallets for the side wall and shingles, the floor was a combination of hamster cage sawdust, cleaned dirt, brown paint, and the corn field mounds of dirt was expanding foam. We found the corn stalks at a hobby shop and put sections of PVC pipe into the foam to make the cornstalks higher in the exhibit, and then we placed the Soldiers in the cornfield.  We constantly upgraded the exhibit and added minor details to the mannequins.

Hope everyone enjoys the images

Best regards, stay safe

Leigh 

69th 2 .jpg

69th Irish Brigade at Antietam.jpg

69th 3 .jpg

0407161344a.jpg

0407161403.jpg

0401161424.jpg

DSCF1640.JPG

DSCF1639.JPG

DSCF1546.JPG

That's fine. Nice display and very informative. I have been to Antietam and walked down the hill towards Bloody Lane. Reminded me of Cowpens , where the defensive line was at a lower elevation than the attacking line.  Is the display still there ? 

Rakkasan187

The display is still there at the NCO Museum.

The museum will be closing and relocating into the 1st Armored Division and Ft Bliss museum building within the next 1-2 years. This exhibit will most likely not be rebuilt in the new footprint.. but we do have some other exhibit ideas..

Leigh