WWII destroyer USS The Sullivans (DD537) is taking on water and severely listing!

aerialbridge

aerialbridge

Sad.  Are museum ships sustainable in the 21st Century, with rampant inflation, lack of government or private funding and general public historic and/or patriotic disinterest?  With all the government waste, like tens of billion$ of hardware abandoned in the Mid-East last year, too bad a small fraction of those billion$ couldn't have gone to historical preservation for this ship,  USS Olympia, Texas and others.    DD 537, a great ship and embodying my old childhood phone exchange,  KEystone 7.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/a-sad-day-uss-the-sullivans-listing-as-stern-takes-on-water/article_23f55bec-bbfe-11ec-bc42-8f51207f8a1f.html

sullivans.jpg

It's pretty sad what's going on with our national treasures like these. It's great to read that they did raise the funds to get the repairs started though. That's a glimmer of hope.  I have never had the opportunity to visit this particular museum, I used to go to Battleship Cove in Fall River, Massachusetts a lot when I lived in the area.  I remember the first time I saw this ship on the television. It was a 'Ghost Hunters/TAPS' episode.

Hope they can save that ship. It's a great military park. It's probably 20 miles south of Niagara Falls on the Buffalo River. They have a sub there also (the Croaker), numerous planes and other exhibits. They hosted, and probably still do, field trips for kids. My boys and I went there on a scouting field trip long, long ago and spent the night on the Little Rock. 

collectsmedals

I live about three hours from Buffalo and I have been to the Buffalo and Erie County Naval and Military Park several times. I always enjoyed touring the ships there, the USS Sullivans, USS Little Rock and USS Croaker,  as well as the museum building and outdoor displays. It is a shame to see the state of our historical naval vessels. I visited the USS Olympus about three years ago and she is in poor condition as well, although some renovation / preservation work was ongoing at that time.

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Wharfmaster said:

You guys understand the America we once knew is finished, right ?

W

Hi Wharfmaster,

Thank you, and please allow me I would like to paraphrase your statement . . . . . . . .

' you guys understand the World we once knew is finished, right ? ' God bless America. !!

regards lewis.

aerialbridge
3 hours ago, Wharfmaster said:

You guys understand the America we once knew is finished, right ?

W

W,   We're thankful for the times we had, and we keep on as long as we're here, right?       To add to what our two friends said:  John 17:9, 11, 15, 20.   John outlived all the others and was the only one to die an old man of natural causes.    Hope springs eternal.        ✝️

Here in Cleveland we have the USS Cod, a Gato class sub, I believe the only one left in original condition.  She just came back from drydock and badly needed repairs, so some are being preserved.  I would recommend a visit if in the area.  http://usscod.org/

• 1 month later...