EXTREMELY RARE WW1 USMC Officer's Map Case

Belleauwood

I haven't seen any reproductions of this from the companies currently making repro equipment with 'eagle snap' type fasteners so....That could only mean one thing. It's a fake... fake! think.gif LOL. Very nice map case sir. thumbsup.gif

-Matt.

www.aefsupply.com and whatpriceglory.com sell repro mapcases like this, wpg's is the eagle snap version, and they make repro marine snap magazine pouches too so its possible they are producing these now as well.

i dont want in any way to ruin the value of your fantastic map case..i own to say that i think is all original...i was just thinkin of the plastic like material....well...as a conclusion i will say that is super oriinal & the material is a vintage celluloid

craig_pickrall
Well that fact that your knowledge of plastics is certainly greater than mine and of the published articles in my cursory search of plastics on the webb; thanks to your keen observations, now leads me to come to the conclusion that the tri-fold cotton canvas item that I listed as a WW1 USMC Officer's Map Case has been misrepresented. To all who have been led to believe that this item is from WW1, I apologize. In fact, upon further review, it must be a fake.

In an effort to keep this forum a historically correct and legitimate venue to display and discuss REAL and period items; I, in this diatribe, am now asking any of the moderators to delete this fraudulent item from this fine forum. In the future, I will only post items with prior approval from the experts.

Please forgive my innocent oversight.

DJ

In looking over my KNOWN WW1 Aviation Aero Club of America Pilots Id booklets and those of my former post of NC winner, Lt. Ludlow in the pinned "groupings" section, I must now conclude that these items that I believe to have some sort of "plastic like cover" must be post WW1 and render these artifacts POST WW1 and most likely bogus.

What a waste of my collecting efforts

Respectfully, Dennis

Did your wife write all this for you? She is quite a writer plus a plastics expert to boot.

That is a beautiful case but the map really makes it for me. I love old maps, have a couple of hundred stashed away.

If you really feel you need to burn the case I will volunteer since I have a fire pit handy. I will even pay postage so you have no loss on this.

I know that officers had to be trained in the arts because their field reports had to include drawings of the area being scouted. Would these map cases serve a dual function of map case and drawing pad?

The American Legion HQ Museum has a fine cityscape drawn by an artillery officer in ww1. Large size, meant to be included with a report.

General Apathy

Hi Dennis, Although it's nice to have plaudits from within the collecting community, in this case you don't need that, as you are already fully aware that you have an excellent example of a rare Marine map-case in fine condition. :rolleyes:

'Almost everyone' pinch.gif on the forum would be more than happy to have this in their collection, and I most certainly would, as I only ever managed to find the lowly plain snap Army version. ;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi Dennis, Although it's nice to have plaudits from within the collecting community, in this case you don't need that, as you are already fully aware that you have an excellent example of a rare Marine map-case in fine condition. :rolleyes:

'Almost everyone' pinch.gif on the forum would be more than happy to have this in their collection, and I most certainly would, as I only ever managed to find the lowly plain snap Army version. ;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

i think is original-my comment was'nt abt the authenticity of the map case...wat was strange to me is the use of plastic like map protector in WWI period....would that be a later...lets say WWII period adition?...

i think is original-my comment was'nt abt the authenticity of the map case...wat was strange to me is the use of plastic like map protector in WWI period....would that be a later...lets say WWII period adition?...

I think the term plastic here was used to simply describe the map case's protective window. This is most likely celluloid, a plastic-like material so I don't think the description of "plastic" was far off.

Here's a Mills Army rimless eagle snap map case with a map protector of the same material, 1911-1914. Even some WWI gas masks had lenses made from a plastic-type material.

post-599-1235259665.jpg

Cheers ( Lewis )

Yea, I know it's real................................I'm just worn out with all the hair splitting.

Have yourself a good one.

Best, Dennis

Yep, the hair splitting can be tiring. I'd hate to see the forum turned into a game of gotcha over the difference between plastic and celluloid. I really enjoy the forum except for that.

there just 2 posibilities-the 1st posibility is...the plastic invented during the Napoleonic years w00t.gif ...in this case both bellauwoods & new romantic map cases are original...

2nd posibility...they are both fake.....

you'r living in a technologicaly advanced country,,,so if you are so courious abt your plasti map protector why dont you ask the opinion of an expert? if i was so desperate to learn i would... thumbsup.gif

does anyone has simular civilian or military items made of plastic almost 100 years old?!!!!

there just 2 posibilities-the 1st posibility is...the plastic invented during the Napoleonic years w00t.gif ...in this case both bellauwoods & new romantic map cases are original...

you'r living in a technologicaly advanced country,,,so if you are so courious abt your plasti map protector why dont you ask the opinion of an expert? if i was so desperate to learn i would... thumbsup.gif

does anyone has simular civilian or military items made of plastic almost 100 years old?!!!!

Please tell me you're joking.

Is this guy for real? Or just a troll?

as on the napoleonic years...haha yes...i'm joking

Please be careful: your "joking" often comes across as insults to others and there's no place for that on this forum.

Thanks

THE BOSS