EXTREMELY RARE WW1 USMC Officer's Map Case

Belleauwood

Well, this is an easy post. - Been a while and figured you folks were a little tired of Belleauwood's stuff. At any rate, this is the only one I've ever seen much less owned. The condition is to die for. Pics are fairly self explanitory.

Does any one else have one?

Dennis

post-3422-1235167736.jpg

Nice piece! I wonder where the rest of 'em went? Mills couldn't have made just one could they? By the way, it's about time you posted something cool. Been so long since you've given us a fix I was gonna to take up drinking to calm my nerves.

An outstanding piece, congratulations! That's as nice as you'd ever find such a rare item. The Army map cases are out there but this is the first time I've ever seen the USMC version.

Greg Robinson

The Marine Corps made an officer's map case at their Phila Depot in 1940-1941 so I assume by that time the supply of those WW1 vintages was nearly depleted. I doubt many exist today. Outstanding find. thumbsup.gif

All of those pre WW2 map cases were replaced by the USMC version of the M1938 map case which went into production in 1942.

map protector made of plastic?!!! there was no plastic invented before WWII!!! :blink:

Well, let me correct myself:

Within the tri-folded cotton canvas case are affixed 3 individual translucent partitions of some unknown material. - Not known by me, obviously. - It is flexible, water repellent, and somewhat yellowed with age, although this has not been confirmed by a laboratory as to why there is this yellowish hue. - There are mysterious red lines 1 inch apart in the vertical and horizontal positions that are at right angles to each other forming 1 inch squares that appear to be integral to said unknown material that covers the recesses where a map (typically) resides.

I have gotten expert, unbiased opinions of the above mysterious translucent film within the tri-folded cotton canvas accoutrement by my wife (an Ohio State graduate, BS, in Circulatory Perfusion ) and my children of 8 and 10 years in age; ................and the general opinion is, well................plastic.

Will keep all forum members advised when the analysis from an off-site lab is completed. Please accept my apologies for misrepresenting this otherwise nice tri-folded cotton canvas item that is generally thought to hold maps.

Respectfully your, Dennis Jackson

Upon further research, can I refer you to the following site: http://inventors.about.com/od/pstartinvent.../a/plastics.htm ........Still not conclusive but well........ you're wrong about the plastic timeline.

Super find, congratulations.

What is the date and location of the map?

Map is French and dated 1916. St. Mihiel resides in the center of the map.

DJ

you're wrong about the plastic timeline.

the first plastic material ever invented was bakelite in 1907...your map protector is made of much later inovation...it's plastic!!!

the first plastic material ever invented was bakelite in 1907...your map protector is made of much later inovation...it's plastic!!!

Well that fact that your knowledge of plastics is certainly greater than mine and of the published articles in my cursory search of plastics on the webb; thanks to your keen observations, now leads me to come to the conclusion that the tri-fold cotton canvas item that I listed as a WW1 USMC Officer's Map Case has been misrepresented. To all who have been led to believe that this item is from WW1, I apologize. In fact, upon further review, it must be a fake.

In an effort to keep this forum a historically correct and legitimate venue to display and discuss REAL and period items; I, in this diatribe, am now asking any of the moderators to delete this fraudulent item from this fine forum. In the future, I will only post items with prior approval from the experts.

Please forgive my innocent oversight.

DJ

In looking over my KNOWN WW1 Aviation Aero Club of America Pilots Id booklets and those of my former post of NC winner, Lt. Ludlow in the pinned "groupings" section, I must now conclude that these items that I believe to have some sort of "plastic like cover" must be post WW1 and render these artifacts POST WW1 and most likely bogus.

What a waste of my collecting efforts

Respectfully, Dennis

I haven't seen any reproductions of this from the companies currently making repro equipment with 'eagle snap' type fasteners so....That could only mean one thing. It's a fake... fake! think.gif LOL. Very nice map case sir. thumbsup.gif

-Matt.

quote name='MattOravik' date='Feb 21 2009, 08:29 AM' post='282358']

I haven't seen any reproductions of this from the companies currently making repro equipment with 'eagle snap' type fasteners so....That could only mean one thing. It's a fake... fake! think.gif LOL. Very nice map case sir. thumbsup.gif

-Matt.

To add further confusion that this could possibly be a very well produced FAKE WW1 USMC MAP CASE, I will now provide the proof of the quality the reproducers are now providing to the unwary collectors. Notice the Mills Fasteners Logo and the fine quality Ink stampings on canvas.

post-3422-1235223569.jpg

post-3422-1235223828.jpg

I'll just burn the damn thing to prevent further deception to the non enlightened chemists on the forum.

Dennis Jackson, Idiot Curator, Belleauwood Museum

Manchu Warrior

I don't know about this? After all Joan Rivers pre-dates WWII, born 1933, and she is made of plastic. thumbsup.gif