WWII MP Helmet

ghengus

Looking for some information on this front seam fixed bail helmet. It has a very different Miltary Police insignia than I have seen in the past. Any ideas or has anyone seen anything like this is any photos. Thanks for the help.

0FEFAFC0-AF7B-4256-BBA6-87A788F2C11D.jpeg

F3262A56-15A1-431F-AE9E-0F665B128C97.jpeg

2F5323D2-4D83-4EB1-9E56-C7B0035D1B0B.jpeg

5436B2B8-C0E7-403E-9E91-C39A2CFC0F9D.jpeg

CA9AEA35-3C8A-4A88-9699-F1E68DDF9FA5.jpeg

3B5EEB42-C5E7-4C42-B002-1578CA638210.jpeg

7B4DE8FD-E4E2-45D0-B5FD-F7E64ED3C41E.jpeg

A494AEA6-8FC7-48C9-9DD0-FD13C65D3661.jpeg

28421D8B-8BD1-476D-82A2-5BC03A044BE4.jpeg

C16F432C-5B19-49D6-AEC8-B99F40C0C185.jpeg

Could very well be an original WW2 used helmet that some young person mocked up into an MP one....One needs to remember these are plentiful and not too long ago weren't worth very much money.....Bodes

To me the age of the shell paint and the age of the white insignia don't match at all. Are the straps resewn? The one in the 7th pic looks a little "off".

On 4/15/2022 at 10:30 AM, dmar836 said:

To me the age of the shell paint and the age of the white insignia don't match at all. Are the straps resewn? The one in the 7th pic looks a little "off".

Straps look legit to me.  Factory error running the bar tacking off the edge like that.

The positioning on the sides and the big circles, gives me kind of a 1950s "European" vibe.  But whatever it is I do think it's a real one!

Burning Hazard

I've seen MP's use circles during WWII on helmets. I don't think it's a reenactor piece as they wouldn't use this style. Also, it's very common for MP helmets to get repaints, all my original MP helmets are re-paints.

My guess is early post-war to occupation period, maybe Korean War? The yellow MP markings give off a Constabulary vibe to me.

Pat

MP Helmet Circle.jpg

Pat, are yours typically painted around the roundels? The one in question appears to be a fairly recent repaint while the older white paint was left intact. I think the interior is also clear evidence of this.

Thank you for all the replies. No glow on any of the paint. Also the paint around the circles looks consistent and not touched up. I also used my microscope and found some micro cracking in the white paint. Also the chin straps don’t look resewn. Just a little off like theGoose said. I was leaning just post war done or Korea. It was just too cool to pass up. Appreciate all the replies. 

13 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Pat, are yours typically painted around the roundels? The one in question appears to be a fairly recent repaint while the older white paint was left intact. I think the interior is also clear evidence of this.

I think the paint is older than you give it credit for.  I like it a lot and see no issues saying this is a post-war used set.  I believe this one is original for a couple of reasons:  

1. Just because it is not WWII, does not mean it is fake.  The shell was was most likely repainted when the insignia was applied post WWII.

2. This is not an insignia that would be copied or faked in this manner.  

3. This is not an insignia that would be painted by a kid in this manner.

3. The MP lettering has leftovers of a decal or sticker that has caused the natural-looking yellow color.