Original WWII Wing?

DZR

Sorry these photos are not better. They have a raised "Sterling" mark only. Any opinions on originality and maker would be appreciated.

Photo 1:

post-3715-1235152552.jpg

I think you have a good set of wings! I agree with Joe on the LeVelle being the maker. Do they feel light when compared to other wings you have?

John

The top and bottom wings look WW2 to my eye while the middle one looks to be post 1945 maybe as late as the Korean era is my guess.

The middle wing appears to have the posts (at least one nail type) electrostatically attached which most folks place in the post war period although the technology was available. If memory serves this type of welding was a German invention before the turn of the century. I know there is a least one more collector on this forum that have some additional information on this topic... I hope he reads and replies to this post.

The bottom wing of which I have one sits in my to be ID'd pile... A standard pattern with additional light detailing to both the primary and secondary feathers with a raised sterling mark in a box on the reverse. The reverse also has a very uneven surface.

John

The top and bottom wings look WW2 to my eye while the middle one looks to be post 1945 maybe as late as the Korean era is my guess.

The middle wing appears to have the posts (at least one nail type) electrostatically attached which most folks place in the post war period although the technology was available. If memory serves this type of welding was a German invention before the turn of the century. I know there is a least one more collector on this forum that have some additional information on this topic... I hope he reads and replies to this post.

The bottom wing of which I have one sits in my to me ID'd pile... A standard pattern with additional light detailing to bot the primary and secondary feathers with a raised sterling mark in a box on the reverse. The reverse also has a very uneven surface.

John

Thanks, John. I suppose two out of three isn't bad. I didn't look at the posts on the middle wing too closely when I picked them up -- I looked at the sterling mark and just presumed WWII. Oops!

The top wing is made by Fox and I have the graduation uniform for a pilot in the 2nd AF and his graduation wing is the same.

Cheers

Gary

The top wing is made by Fox and I have the graduation uniform for a pilot in the 2nd AF and his graduation wing is the same.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks - I think I've got another pair actually -- came on a Far East AF jacket IIRC. thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...
John Cooper

Steve - not just the weight but the pattern is generally called LeVelle. Not sure who decided that they are made by LeVelle since I have only seen the AC wing with their makers mark. I think Fitzsimmons is the guy who printed in his book on wings that they are LeVelle... not sure when it all started.

Kind of like who coined the term Jaurez for the Lampl wings? dunno.gif

John

IMPERIAL QUEST
Steve - not just the weight but the pattern is generally called LeVelle. Not sure who decided that they are made by LeVelle since I have only seen the AC wing with their makers mark. I think Fitzsimmons is the guy who printed in his book on wings that they are LeVelle... not sure when it all started.

Kind of like who coined the term Jaurez for the Lampl wings? dunno.gif

John

Ahhh...thanks John.

Here's the other wings - I moved them here.

It's pretty light, and the detailing is pretty nice. Seems rather nice to be a sweetheart wing.

post-333-1238458924.jpg

Anyone have observations on the 4 wings I posted last?

With regard to the electrostatic welding, it is my understanding that the process was used on some WWII wings. Other than shorter posts, is there a way one could differentiate the WWII e-welded wings from the later versions?

John Cooper

Nack - the wing in post #15 can you provide an additional shot of the reverse with the markings rightside up so I can see the details? Additionaly it appears to be a SMILO wing at first glance.

# 16 appears to be a GEMSCO pattern although I have not seen this with a seperately applied shield. I think it would be interesting to see if this same wings shows up in the other standard types with all the center devices seperately attached.

John

Nack - the wing in post #15 can you provide an additional shot of the reverse with the markings rightside up so I can see the details? Additionaly it appears to be a SMILO wing at first glance.

# 16 appears to be a GEMSCO pattern although I have not seen this with a seperately applied shield. I think it would be interesting to see if this same wings shows up in the other standard types with all the center devices seperately attached.

John

John,

That wing (#16) does indeed come in different patterns with the applied shield and I have a Liaison Pilot badge in this pattern. I just checked my site and apparently I didn't get around to posting pictures of it before Tyler was born. Looks like it's time for me to do a little cross referencing of what is and isn't up on my site. I've only ever seen pilot shield variations (pilot, L, S & G) though not any of the wings that have a round center applied piece.

Bob

Thanks for the thoughts, John and Bob. Here's the back of #15, upside down. Any better?

Also, if you look at the first Silver Wings book, the wings in post #16 are wings #11 on p. 80 (or, perhaps more accurately, look a lot like them), and that unusual Gemsco pattern you referred to is immediately below that at wings #12. Both have that odd feature of the bottom of the feathers extending below the shield, but the lower feathers of the Gemsco wings nearly touch, whereas the other type has a bit of a space between the lower feathers. Also, at least on the examples I have, the Gemsco wing has vertical ribbing in the channels within the shield, whereas the other Gemsco-type wing has zig-zagging inside the channels.

post-333-1238811044.jpg

Looks to me to say 1/20 10K except for fittings... which is interesting.

Ah- that makes sense.

So, is that good interesting, or bad interesting? ;)

John Cooper
John,

That wing (#16) does indeed come in different patterns with the applied shield and I have a Liaison Pilot badge in this pattern. I just checked my site and apparently I didn't get around to posting pictures of it before Tyler was born. Looks like it's time for me to do a little cross referencing of what is and isn't up on my site. I've only ever seen pilot shield variations (pilot, L, S & G) though not any of the wings that have a round center applied piece.

Bob

Bob,

Well you can always cross-link the photos once you upload them ;)

John