Is this group worth $22,000 101st Airborne. D-day

WEAVER45

manayunkman
7 minutes ago, pararaftanr2 said:

Are these groupings all from a former Forum member and author who was banned from here a few years ago? 

That explains everything 

LuftStalg1
33 minutes ago, USMCR79 said:

Jumpin Jack?

Well, he was out of the German and into US stuff last I saw him.  Is he focused on Airborne now?

LuftStalg1
1 hour ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

So is the optimal strategy "Put Together Groups".  Sure seems the case in toady's Militaria Wheeling and Dealing! 

Well it can't be any easier then to get a nice grouping and add some extra, essentially worthless by themselves, items to make it look belter.  That should not effect the value in my opinion.  You can't really prove a hat badge or collar insignia belonged to someone other then someone's "word" which these days is an overrated non commodity, again in my "opinion".  As a collector I have always bought things that I enjoyed, not things I expected to make money on.  But I am a "collector" not a "dealer" so engage strictly for pleasure which seems to be a dying mindset sadly.  Again, just my sad opinion.   When I took a hobby I loved and turned it into a business I stopped loving it and began depending on it.  So I closed that business and went back to just collecting as a hobby again and was much happier.  When I depended on it for an income I started looking for an "edge" and I did not like myself in that mindset.  It becomes very easy to slip into the darkside without noticing it is happening to you or even justifying it.

pararaftanr2
1 hour ago, LuftStalg1 said:

Well, he was out of the German and into US stuff last I saw him.  Is he focused on Airborne now?

He has been "out of the German" for many years now. He wrote a five-volume reference on WW2 US Airborne called "Heros In Our Midst". Reportedly, he was putting his collection up for auction as of two years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwD9PefV3Fo&t=9s

5 hours ago, manayunkman said:

That explains everything 

That would explain a lot actually. The "good" Colonel had a auction a few months ago. Not sure how it all turned out but I have seen of of his lots turn up in the wood cases at shops in Colorado and across the mid west when people I know seen these in the shops and resale places.

Skysoldier80
8 hours ago, LuftStalg1 said:

This so called forum member that was that was banned from here sold his entire collection off to many people in an auction two years ago.  You can’t blame him now if people are selling his former stuff as their own and something is not right.

if you want to call him out two years later for stuff being sold, then blame that individual and auction house for selling it now because he no longer owns it.  Btw go to any auction house or major dealer of German or any nation stuff they are all doing it; selling humped up crap (even Ratisbons is doing it).

the member is banned and has no voice to defend himself.  Please leave the man alone.  Talk the “here and now” not the past.  If something is not right notify the auction house or current owner  and let them make the call.

thank you.

pararaftanr2

Sounds like I struck a nerve. Sorry if you were offended, but I intentionally didn't name him in my first post, was just trying to shed some light on why these groupings were high priced, but also many had suspicious items included in them. I've delt with the gentleman in question firsthand in the past. Have you?

LuftStalg1
1 hour ago, Skysoldier80 said:

This so called forum member that was that was banned from here sold his entire collection off to many people in an auction two years ago.  You can’t blame him now if people are selling his former stuff as their own and something is not right.

if you want to call him out two years later for stuff being sold, then blame that individual and auction house for selling it now because he no longer owns it.  Btw go to any auction house or major dealer of German or any nation stuff they are all doing it; selling humped up crap (even Ratisbons is doing it).

the member is banned and has no voice to defend himself.  Please leave the man alone.  Talk the “here and now” not the past.  If something is not right notify the auction house or current owner  and let them make the call.

thank you.

OK BUD!  I don't know what your problem is with ME as you "quoted" my question.  But if you don't like me asking a question tough luck!   I never had a problem with Jack (John A. as I knew him) when we did business in the 80s and I haven't spoke or dealt with him since then.  I have many autographed books and even a video he sent me of his collection back then.  So why you feel you need to jump on ME I don't know but if you don't like my asking a question well you had just better get used to it or simply don't respond "QUOTE" MY QUESTIONS.  I like to ask questions and I don't respond well to bullies that don't like me asking questions.  So maybe point your CONTEMPT at someone deserving of it.  What do you think?  Thank you.

Skysoldier80
1 hour ago, LuftStalg1 said:

OK BUD!  I don't know what your problem is with ME as you "quoted" my question.  But if you don't like me asking a question tough luck!   I never had a problem with Jack (John A. as I knew him) when we did business in the 80s and I haven't spoke or dealt with him since then.  I have many autographed books and even a video he sent me of his collection back then.  So why you feel you need to jump on ME I don't know but if you don't like my asking a question well you had just better get used to it or simply don't respond "QUOTE" MY QUESTIONS.  I like to ask questions and I don't respond well to bullies that don't like me asking questions.  So maybe point your CONTEMPT at someone deserving of it.  What do you think?  Thank you.

I am not pointing/calling you out BUD.  I am not bullying you so slow your roll.  My comments are directed to people who keep bringing him up on this forum.

To answer your question; he wrote a series of books on airborne collecting.

I am point out that everytime someone has a problem with something that is high value to they right to blaming him.  If you want some more detailed answers you can contact the gentlemen who PMed me and had a grown up conversation about my comment instead of acting like a child like you.

my point is all of his Militaria was sold off 1-2 years so stop blaming him and blame the current owner and the auction house “if the stuff is messed with”. The guy is not even around to defend himself and he is almost 90; let him fade away.

Have a great Airborne Day!

I could be completely wrong, but I don't believe any of these groups are from John Angolia's collection.

And all arguments aside, his collection (the vast majority of it) was sold a few years back at auction. There were some nice groups that went for cheap; others went for retail or slightly above. 

But again, as far as I'm aware, none of these were from him and definitely none were from that auction. 

BILL THE PATCH

I know Jack and talked to  him about the auction, he says he didn't do well, he was expecting a lot more money for the items. This was last year

LuftStalg1
14 hours ago, Skysoldier80 said:

I am not pointing/calling you out BUD.  I am not bullying you so slow your roll.  My comments are directed to people who keep bringing him up on this forum.

To answer your question; he wrote a series of books on airborne collecting.

I am point out that everytime someone has a problem with something that is high value to they right to blaming him.  If you want some more detailed answers you can contact the gentlemen who PMed me and had a grown up conversation about my comment instead of acting like a child like you.

my point is all of his Militaria was sold off 1-2 years so stop blaming him and blame the current owner and the auction house “if the stuff is messed with”. The guy is not even around to defend himself and he is almost 90; let him fade away.

Have a great Airborne Day!

Your response quoting me was what I went by as I did not see another's comment attached to it.   At my age my role don't get any slower.  ; )    Thank you for answering my question.  As I said I never had any issues with John / Jack but its been decades so I am obviously not the one your talking to in that respect.    I guess I do not understand how to use "quotes" here.  IDK   You provided THE answer so no need to contact another unnamed individual I am unaware of that contacted you directly.   I hear ya.   Wow, he is almost as old as my dad.   Just got mail call so I am having a GREAT day now.  YEA!  You do the same Skysoldeir80.   PS: Seriously though, please accept my apology as I am off my meds today.