Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal question

Keith

For an award of the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal there is the name "QUEMOY-MATSU". Can anyone tell me what that means? I presume it is the theater qualifying for the award? Thanks.

Keith, Quemoy-Matsu refers to islands in the Taiwan Strait which the Red Chinese claimed were in their territorial waters, but were part of Taiwan. In 1958-59, President Eisenhower sent US ships to the area to project US support of Taiwan. Participating crews were intitled to the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal. I think Taiwan might have been called Formosa at the time. I'm not sure when the name changed. Hope that helps.

Mark

Keith, Quemoy-Matsu refers to islands in the Taiwan Strait which the Red Chinese claimed were in their territorial waters, but were part of Taiwan. In 1958-59, President Eisenhower sent US ships to the area to project US support of Taiwan. Participating crews were intitled to the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal. I think Taiwan might have been called Formosa at the time. I'm not sure when the name changed. Hope that helps.

Mark

Thanks, that does help.

Military-Memorabilia

Quemoy & Matsu was one of the first operations to be elegible for the AFEM. Here's a little more pertinant info:

ARMED FORCES EXPEDITIONARY MEDAL

ESTABLISHING AUTHORITY

The Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal was established by Executive Order 10977 signed by President John F. Kennedy on December 4, 1961.

EFFECTIVE DATES

For United States Military Operations:

Quemoy & Matsu Islands (off Mainland China: August 23, 1956 to June 1, 1963)

Quemoy & Matsu was one of the first operations to be elegible for the AFEM. Here's a little more pertinant info:

ARMED FORCES EXPEDITIONARY MEDAL

ESTABLISHING AUTHORITY

The Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal was established by Executive Order 10977 signed by President John F. Kennedy on December 4, 1961.

EFFECTIVE DATES

For United States Military Operations:

Quemoy & Matsu Islands (off Mainland China: August 23, 1956 to June 1, 1963)

I made 2 1/2 West-Pac cruises on the USS Ranger between January 1960 and March 1963 so even though I didn't know it, I guess I was there!