Can anyone determine what style rating on this photograph?

Tonomachi

This is a 1933 photograph of Chief Yeoman Charles E. Lofgren who was secretary to Rear Admiral R. E. Byrd during one of his expeditions into the Antarctic.  He is posing next to one of the leading sled dogs of one of the expeditions.  My question is can anyone tell what type of CPO Yeoman rating is being worn here.  Is it the red chevrons on black or did they have gold chevrons back in 1933?  In addition the eagle almost looks like it is facing to the left or backwards instead of forwards.

1457480256553.jpg

They definitely had gold stripes then, and those appear to be. Before 1941 rating badges were all made the same, so the ones worn on the right sleeve had the eagle facing forward, and facing the other way on the left sleeve.

David Minton

My guess is they are gold chevrons, which were authorized at least as far back as 1913. The eagle facing right, while worn on left sleeve would be correct for this period. Left facing rates were not authorized until May 1941 (and not until 1948 for Seaman branch rates).

Is this what he is wearing or is this a later period WW2 CPO Yeoman as the eagle doesn't seem to have that slight lean that you encounter on pre WW2 era rates?

ww2-us-navy-chief-yeoman-bullion-cloth-rating-badge.jpg

ww2-us-navy-chief-yeoman-bullion-cloth-rating-badge (1).jpg

5 hours ago, Tonomachi said:

Is this what he is wearing or is this a later period WW2 CPO Yeoman as the eagle doesn't seem to have that slight lean that you encounter on pre WW2 era rates?

ww2-us-navy-chief-yeoman-bullion-cloth-rating-badge.jpg

ww2-us-navy-chief-yeoman-bullion-cloth-rating-badge (1).jpg

It’s pre-1941. 

5 hours ago, sigsaye said:

It’s pre-1941. 

Thanks for dating this rate so this could be the one he is wearing in the photograph?

6 hours ago, sigsaye said:

It’s pre-1941. 

might you tell us how to determine as much, so that not too many repetitive posts are made?

9 hours ago, daswrack said:

might you tell us how to determine as much, so that not too many repetitive posts are made?

Pre 1941, all US Navy rating badges faced to the eagles LEFT. thus, when worn on the left sleeve, the eagle faced to the rear. After 1941, the eagles for LEFT SLEEVE ratings had the eagles head turned to its RIGHT, so it faced forward when worn on the LEFT sleeve. 

49 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

Pre 1941, all US Navy rating badges faced to the eagles LEFT. thus, when worn on the left sleeve, the eagle faced to the rear. After 1941, the eagles for LEFT SLEEVE ratings had the eagles head turned to its RIGHT, so it faced forward when worn on the LEFT sleeve. 

In a previous post in this thread, it was changed in May, 1941

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this on eBay and was wondering why a CPO Yeoman prior to WW2 would be wearing such a badge.  It was identified as a badge worn by Naval Inteligence during WW1.   The initials J.J.K. identifies the wearer as John J. Skelling (see business card).  I'm guessing this was a private purchase type of situation as I doubt if this was USN issue and/or regulations.  

WWI Naval Intelligence (7).jpg

WWI Naval Intelligence (8).jpg

WWI Naval Intelligence (12) - Copy.jpg

On 4/9/2022 at 9:38 AM, sigsaye said:

In a previous post in this thread, it was changed in May, 1941

Yeah, I was thinking that, but didn’t have my books

15 hours ago, Tonomachi said:

I just saw this on eBay and was wondering why a CPO Yeoman prior to WW2 would be wearing such a badge.  It was identified as a badge worn by Naval Inteligence during WW1.   The initials J.J.K. identifies the wearer as John J. Skelling (see business card).  I'm guessing this was a private purchase type of situation as I doubt if this was USN issue and/or regulations.  

WWI Naval Intelligence (7).jpg

WWI Naval Intelligence (8).jpg

WWI Naval Intelligence (12) - Copy.jpg

as it is showed on the reverse it looks to have been made in a foreign country because of the attachments