Correct paint color for a WWII USAAF 100 pound bomb

cutiger83

I have been trying to find pictures online but can't seem to find a definitive answer. 

What is the correct color and paint scheme of a WWII USAAF 100 pound bomb?  I believe it is OD green with a yellow ring around the nose but I have also seen some pictures of ones with a yellow ring around the tail.  

Thank you for any assistance.... Kat

You do see some variation, seemingly without explanation, that may have been special purpose ones (Illumination, incendiary, etc) but I think the yellow HE markings would be appropriate.

bombs.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Mr.Jerry said:

You do see some variation, seemingly without explanation, that may have been special purpose ones (Illumination, incendiary, etc) but I think the yellow HE markings would be appropriate.

bombs.jpeg

Thanks so much!!!

..Katherine

Charlie Flick
7 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

What is the correct color and paint scheme of a WWII USAAF 100 pound bomb?  I believe it is OD green with a yellow ring around the nose but I have also seen some pictures of ones with a yellow ring around the tail.  

Hello Kat:

See the marking diagram below taken from Ammunition Inspection Guide TM 9-1904 published 2 March 1944 at page 592.  This excellent manual goes on to state: 

General:  Bombs are painted for prevention of rust, as a means for identification, and for camouflage.  All bombs, except chemical, are painted olive drab, lusterless, base color, with black stencil for camouflage purposes.

Demolition:  For identification purposes, GP, LC, AP and depth bombs have three yellow bands to indicate high explosive filler. 

Painting:  Until March 1942, all GP bombs were externally painted yellow with black stencil.   Since March 1942 all bombs have been painted olive drab with black stencil.  For identification the bomb bodies have a 1-inch yellow band around the tail and nose and a 1/4 inch yellow band around the center of gravity.  Internally, all GP bombs are painted with acid proof black paint to prevent reaction of high-explosive filler with the metal bomb case.

I hope that answers your questions.

Regards,

Charlie

100 Pound GP bomb paint scheme ed.jpg

Charlie Flick

The lettering style, lettering location and format can be seen in the image below.  Note that the specifics given there are for the Practice Bomb, M38A2, but it should give you what you need to properly mark a GP 100 lb. bomb of the WW2 era.

HTH.

Charlie

M38A2 Practice Bomb 100 lb drawing ed.jpg

3 hours ago, Charlie Flick said:

Hello Kat:

See the marking diagram below taken from Ammunition Inspection Guide TM 9-1904 published 2 March 1944 at page 592.  This excellent manual goes on to state: 

General:  Bombs are painted for prevention of rust, as a means for identification, and for camouflage.  All bombs, except chemical, are painted olive drab, lusterless, base color, with black stencil for camouflage purposes.

Demolition:  For identification purposes, GP, LC, AP and depth bombs have three yellow bands to indicate high explosive filler. 

Painting:  Until March 1942, all GP bombs were externally painted yellow with black stencil.   Since March 1942 all bombs have been painted olive drab with black stencil.  For identification the bomb bodies have a 1-inch yellow band around the tail and nose and a 1/4 inch yellow band around the center of gravity.  Internally, all GP bombs are painted with acid proof black paint to prevent reaction of high-explosive filler with the metal bomb case.

I hope that answers your questions.

Regards,

Charlie

100 Pound GP bomb paint scheme ed.jpg

This is beyond awesome!  I cannot thank you enough!

...Kat

Be aware not all olive drabs are the same. They use what is called Federal Standard specifications. There were many different olive drabs ( or greens)from the 40’s thru Vietnam. Later WW2 was 34084 I believe. As an Ordnance collector ( fussy people) I have used Revell modeling paint FS number ? ( can’t remember), purchased a small bottle, then took it to Home Depot and had it matched and mixed in either quart oil or latex. Just a few links below for illustration. The yellow is tricky, but I found the yellow road line spray paint to be a perfect match.

http://www.ak-masters.com/app/tut/US-WWII.pdf

https://www.milspeccoating.com/Federal-Standard-595-Colors-s/41.htm

3 hours ago, 917601 said:

Be aware not all olive drabs are the same. They use what is called Federal Standard specifications. There were many different olive drabs ( or greens)from the 40’s thru Vietnam. Later WW2 was 34084 I believe. As an Ordnance collector ( fussy people) I have used Revell modeling paint FS number ? ( can’t remember), purchased a small bottle, then took it to Home Depot and had it matched and mixed in either quart oil or latex. Just a few links below for illustration. The yellow is tricky, but I found the yellow road line spray paint to be a perfect match.

http://www.ak-masters.com/app/tut/US-WWII.pdf

https://www.milspeccoating.com/Federal-Standard-595-Colors-s/41.htm

Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated!

...Kat