32nd Infantry Div., 127th Infantry Regiment reference family member KIA (1944)

Dogface72

This is a follow up question as I am researching a family member who was killed on July 16, 1944 in the pacific.  I received a FOIA IDPF and was surprised to receive 40 scanned pages.  Most of the information was regarding internment, disinterment and reinternment.  They did have on file a hand written letter by his spouse asking for the return of his personal property, which was unexpected.

Now I’m digging deeper into what and where his unit was fighting when he died.  GWS to the head on or about July 16, 1944.

If anyone knows where or how to find information on the 32nd Infantry Div., 127th Infantry Regiment, B Company, It would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for all the help so far, and so far so good. Does anyone know what the place of death means?  Maybe River Aitape?

Original Post:

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/343360-help-with-id-kia-new-guinea-1944/#comment-2756355

Screenshot 2022-04-05 123449.png

Agreed. Also in reading this card and assuming the dates are accurate. It took approximately 21 days to bury him? Just makes me wonder if he was captured or his body was not recovered for a period of time.  God awful to wonder about.  Did the Army not make after action reports?

I'm no expert but I'm guessing he was probably in a temporary grave prior to being interned in USAF cemetery Aitape #2.  Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.