Markings help

Cote_1918

What would a blue stripe around an M1 helmet signify with a yellow circle above it? I have a helmet nobody can seem to figure out. I can try to upload a picture later.

Logan Cote

It could mean a bunch of things.  

Sheer speculation without seeing it, as it depends on shade of blue, location (brim, or higher), etc.

It COULD be Beach BN, a circle painted on a helmet COULD be a Corpsman; or, it could be kid or chopper art.

Just now, gap said:

Cool helmet, looks like a Hawley liner too! 

yeah one of my favorites

Really Awesome lid. I feel that this has been posted on USMF before no? Was it you? I have seen this helmet before no doubt. 

I think it was a USCG Helmet from Alaska or something. I think the yellow circle signified a beach party designation perhaps. 

Z

I decided to repost and see if I ger any different answers, I posted it on instagram and got tons of different ideas for the unit crest.

41 minutes ago, Cote_1918 said:

I decided to repost and see if I ger any different answers, I posted it on instagram and got tons of different ideas for the unit crest.

Could I respectfully recommend that you do some form of "BTT" of the original topic next time, so we don't have the same folks trying to answer the same question?

The benefit to you there, is that it keeps all of the information in one topic; and, doesn't add to the admin / moderator workload of having to combine topics.

10 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

Could I respectfully recommend that you do some form of "BTT" of the original topic next time, so we don't have the same folks trying to answer the same question?

The benefit to you there, is that it keeps all of the information in one topic; and, doesn't add to the admin / moderator workload of having to combine topics.

How do I do that, copy and paste the link?

18 minutes ago, Cote_1918 said:

How do I do that, copy and paste the link?

Just post in the existing thread.  BTT = bump to top (of the forum list).  

On 4/5/2022 at 9:21 AM, gap said:

Cool helmet, looks like a Hawley liner too! 

May I ask how you can tell it’s a Hawley from this photo? Or did you know it from the other thread? 

Definitely want to learn as much as possible. 

OP, awesome helmet! Not to state the obvious but you mentioned in the other post that you knew the owner was in Italy and Africa. What else do you know about them? Any details can help ID the other markings.

Here’s what I’ve got from some basic Googling. Hopefully it doesn’t take us down the wrong rabbit hole. Personally, I thought it looked like a Polar bear. So I searched for that. 

Also saw this… “The 49th West Riding Infantry Division was the first Division to occupy Iceland in 1940.”

Is there any chance that you have a SeeBee that did some joint work with a British unit? Thus taking on their insignia.

4788E090-58D8-4E10-8039-008B8CF14872.jpeg

12 hours ago, Ryan Reese said:

May I ask how you can tell it’s a Hawley from this photo? Or did you know it from the other thread? 

Definitely want to learn as much as possible. 

You can see the rough frayed edges of the liner showing below the rim (indicating it's a Hawley or General Fiber liner).  High or low pressure (later styles) liners would not show wear like that.  (you can see the inside of the liner in the other thread)

1 hour ago, john k said:

You can see the rough frayed edges of the liner showing below the rim (indicating it's a Hawley or General Fiber liner).  High or low pressure (later styles) liners would not show wear like that.  (you can see the inside of the liner in the other thread)

+1

Well, my uncle found it in his mother's basement a few years ago and thought it was his grandfathers who was an aircraft mechanic, apparently, he served in Africa and Italy. He also mentioned a cousin of his who was at the Battle of the Bulge but neither seem to fit this helmet if you ask me. I asked him recently if he knew anything else and he doesn't have anything new.