Original WWI US 1917 Model 2 Experimental Helmet w/Liner Chinstrap Ford Motor Co

mdk0911

• 3 weeks later...

I was just recently studying up on WW1 M1917 helmets and read about how they were making some experimental helmets, this Model 2 being one of them. I think they look quite interesting. They remind me of Spartan helmets mixed with the Stahlhelm. It would have been quite a sight to see USGI's in WW2 running around with these. I was also surprised to see that there's several available for sale online at the moment.

High price yes, though perhaps explainable in a couple of ways. 

1)  It has a complete liner and chin strap.  Rough as the leather in the liner is, it IS there, complete.  Not easy to find.

2)  Shill bidding - the were 32 bids by 9 bidders, with one retraction.  Common with shill bidders is bidding on an item one bid right after another, maybe 10 bids in a few minutes, (as we see here) to drive the price up.

it is a nice and semi rare helmet.

Steve

Prices on WWI US experimental helmets have been moving steadily upwards for a few years now.  It wasn't long ago that you could pick up a Model 8 for $1200, but good luck finding one for less than $3500 now.  The same goes for models 2 and 5, but they're not quite as cool as the 8, so while prices have gone up, it's not quite as dramatic.