Mint Unissued GI Towel, but is it from WWII?

mostly60s

Mint Unissued GI Towel, but is it from WWII?

Got it with a group of stuff from WWII & Korea.

Does anybody know what a WWII GI towel looks like?

post-2606-1235096838.jpg

post-2606-1235096847.jpg

Thanks for your help!

craig_pickrall

That looks like a recent towel but it is hard to be sure from those pics. Are there any labels?

Most terry towels from WWII were made by Cannon, a now defunct company. They will have label sewn into them that has the original logo. Most towels during that time, carried by soldiers was made of cotton huck, a tight weave cotton, much like old table cloth.

Most terry towels from WWII were made by Cannon, a now defunct company.

The company went bankrupt but the brand is owned and used by an Asian company and still sold in the US.

The company went bankrupt but the brand is owned and used by an Asian company and still sold in the US.

I did not know that. I do know that the label from old is very distinctive looking from the most recent versions. The old labels were very detailed in the picture of the cannon and balls, and then it looks as if someone figured out that they could save money by using less thread making the logo picture.

I'd say your towel IS WW2 even without a label being present... I have a ton of Q.M.C. items in issue bundles to include towels... Most minty towels I've seen are a rich pea green-khaki some with the blue or black cannon label and some with no label at all.. I'm inclosing a pic of about 15-20 towels (all unmarked)

A few years ago I picked up two duffle bags that were stuffed full of unissued large towels, huck towels, socks, drawers, undershirts etc etc... I've seen nothing on the market these days that even comes close to matching an original.

Kration

post-107-1235183722.jpg