WWII Pacific Stories

WWIIAuctions

WWIIAuctions

While working at one of my previous auction jobs, a US medical record journal from the mid 40s came into the shop.  I glanced over it and most of it was normal logs and instructions on the psychological effect of war and how to keep troops mentally healthy.  Towards the end of the book were a few "odd" experiences reported in the field.  I remember these two standing out, so I will recall them to the best of my ability.

#1:  Young Japanese Soldier and Australian Troop

A group of Australian soldiers were ending a battle against Japanese soldiers somewhere in the Pacific.  One of the Australians noticed a young Japanese soldier, no older than 13-14 years old, cowering in a bunker, crying and throwing grenades over the hill towards nobody.  The report said something along the lines of, "The Australian looked down from the opposite side of the bunker, laughed, and shot the young Japanese boy.

#2:  Indian Troop With a Sword

A British group had an Indian regiment with them while they were taking in surrendered Japanese POWs at a battle site in the Pacific.  One of the Indian soldiers stumbled upon a Japanese Gunto sword and proceeded to chop up around 5-6 prisoners before ending his fury.

I know that I didn't go into great detail, but I read these short reports within a minute or two.  I assume that the reason for the record journal was to detail the mental effect war has on soldiers and these two stood out to me personally.

Does anyone else have any odd stories from the Pacific in WWII?  Where soldiers break rank and act out?  It seems that the Pacific Theater took a toll on all soldiers involved.  Both of my Grandfathers served in the Pacific during WWII and I have a few stories from them as well if anyone is interested.

This isn't quite the same; but if you want a true feel for the Pacific Theater, this book is exceptional.

Frankel was in the 37th Division, and wrote for the Saturday Evening Post.  He also wrote the division history at the end of the war.  

The whole book is worth reading....but the chapter that always sticks out to me is Chapter 2...."Every Night We Die".

http://stanley-frankel.com/chapter/chapter-2/

WWIIAuctions
1 hour ago, MAW said:

This isn't quite the same; but if you want a true feel for the Pacific Theater, this book is exceptional.

Frankel was in the 37th Division, and wrote for the Saturday Evening Post.  He also wrote the division history at the end of the war.  

The whole book is worth reading....but the chapter that always sticks out to me is Chapter 2...."Every Night We Die".

http://stanley-frankel.com/chapter/chapter-2/

Wow.  That was a great read.  I enjoy hearing stories about the Southern soldiers, as I am from the South and my grandparents would speak in the same "Old South" accent like the way the Tennessean BAR gunner (My grandfather was a marksman with the BAR, and I still have the medal) and the Dr. from Georgia's lines were written.  Thanks for the interesting website, I'll definitely read some more from Mr. Frankel!

Glad you enjoyed it.  

They are published in book form, but it can be challenging to find sometimes.  After Mr. Frankel's death, the family gratiously kept the website up and made that book accessable online.

Frankel also wrote a great article on the battle for Hill 700, which is one of my favorite PTO fights.  Hardcore stuff.

https://www.historynet.com/battle-of-bougainville-37th-infantry-divisions-battle-for-hill-700/

• 4 months later...

As related to my wife about our friend’s father who served in the Pacific as a pharmacist’s mate. 

"One interesting story he related to me was once they were anchored on his ship (an LST) in Milne Bay, Papua New Guinea where they were witness to a mid-air collision of two friendly forces airplanes. The men on the ship could see that parachutes were deployed and my father asked the officer of the deck if he could take a landing craft to the scene. The officer acquiesced. Upon arrival, my father said the wounded pilots had just entered the water. One was picked up readily. The other had already dipped below the surface and was sinking due to the weight of his gear and the salt water saturation of his silk parachute. My father grabbed a long grappling hook in an attempt to snag the parachute and missed it by mere inches. In the clear tropical waters, the would-be rescuers watched the wounded pilot, with arm outstretched, sink ever deeper into the abyss. My father said he had nightmares about this for years to come."

WWIIAuctions
1 hour ago, Zack Miller said:

As related to my wife about our friend’s father who served in the Pacific as a pharmacist’s mate. 

"One interesting story he related to me was once they were anchored on his ship (an LST) in Milne Bay, Papua New Guinea where they were witness to a mid-air collision of two friendly forces airplanes. The men on the ship could see that parachutes were deployed and my father asked the officer of the deck if he could take a landing craft to the scene. The officer acquiesced. Upon arrival, my father said the wounded pilots had just entered the water. One was picked up readily. The other had already dipped below the surface and was sinking due to the weight of his gear and the salt water saturation of his silk parachute. My father grabbed a long grappling hook in an attempt to snag the parachute and missed it by mere inches. In the clear tropical waters, the would-be rescuers watched the wounded pilot, with arm outstretched, sink ever deeper into the abyss. My father said he had nightmares about this for years to come."

Thank you for reminding me of this forum and thread specifically.  I'm terrified and intrigued by the ocean and I have a strong interest in Naval history, especially pre-metal (I don't know what the better term would be?) ships.  I honestly don't know what to say about your post.  Things like this is why it's important to remember our lost soldiers and combat vets.  Thank you for your reply!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I used to live next door to an elderly guy who was a USMC WWII veteran. He talked about a time when a Navajo code-talker played a joke on an officer when he climbed up on top of the officer’s bunker and then began speaking in Navajo. The officer of course didn’t recognize the language and thought it was Japanese. He ran out of the bunker screaming, terrified