Pelham Ratings

PatLaabs

I recently acquired these 4 Pelham ratings and I'm trying to get more info on them. I read through the forum posts from a few years ago but it doesn't sound like anything concrete was found though. Does anyone have any more info on them? 

I know these are pretty rare and I'd never seen one for sale or even in person before so when I saw these I jumped on them.

All are marked as;

Brooks Uniform Co.

New York

Contract no. 7643

Also sorry for the sideways photos.. I took them right-side up but they flipped and I don't know how to fix it.

20220329_092230.jpg

20220329_092243.jpg

20220329_092253.jpg

3 minutes ago, Allan H. said:

Pelham Bay Naval Training Station. Here is the Wikipedia page.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelham_Bay_Naval_Training_Station They even have a photo of one of these rates in the article.

Allan

Thank you. I've seen the page for the station and the picture but it doesn't say what they're for exactly. I'm assuming it was similar to the training petty officer ratings but specifically for Pelham. I'm just wondering if anyone has any other info on them.

David Minton

I was wondering who bought that lot, and if they were bidding on the rates or the WWI Army items.

I don’t have anything to add other than what has already been shared, as well as photos of mine. I picked mine up in a poorly labeled lot that went under the radar of other collectors, so don’t have a sense of market rate.

B7376AA4-20BD-409E-8981-5124DD224642.jpeg

09D4376D-51B1-4AFD-AF2C-3F00E80DD830.jpeg

1 hour ago, David Minton said:

I was wondering who bought that lot, and if they were bidding on the rates or the WWI Army items.

I don’t have anything to add other than what has already been shared, as well as photos of mine. I picked mine up in a poorly labeled lot that went under the radar of other collectors, so don’t have a sense of market rate.

B7376AA4-20BD-409E-8981-5124DD224642.jpeg

09D4376D-51B1-4AFD-AF2C-3F00E80DD830.jpeg

Yea that was me lol. I was curious if people were bidding for the army stuff too but once I saw them I knew I needed them. Glad I was searching outside of my normal search parameters. 

Yours is very nice. Your contract number is actually legible unlike 3 out of 4 of mine. John Stacey's book didn't have anything about them in it right? I'm on vacation and don't have access to my copy.

David Minton
12 minutes ago, PatLaabs said:

Yea that was me lol. I was curious if people were bidding for the army stuff too but once I saw them I knew I needed them. Glad I was searching outside of my normal search parameters. 

Yours is very nice. Your contract number is actually legible unlike 3 out of 4 of mine. John Stacey's book didn't have anything about them in it right? I'm on vacation and don't have access to my copy.

I was going for them for a while but gave up at the end since I had one. I’m glad they went to a rate collector and not into a random collection.

I have not found anything more about them but haven’t looked for a while. I don’t believe John Stacey covered them. I think there are a few things he missed even in the Second Edition.

My guess since they are full size rates they were staff since they are full size rather than reduced size. But, that is just a guess. 

22 minutes ago, David Minton said:

I was going for them for a while but gave up at the end since I had one. I’m glad they went to a rate collector and not into a random collection.

I have not found anything more about them but haven’t looked for a while. I don’t believe John Stacey covered them. I think there are a few things he missed even in the Second Edition.

My guess since they are full size rates they were staff since they are full size rather than reduced size. But, that is just a guess. 

Thanks. Glad I was able to get it but if I didn't I'd hope it went to a fellow rate collector as well. I'm still debating what to do with the army stuff. 

Gotcha. I haven't found much yet either and I believe you're right. Maybe there will be a third edition in the future maybe? One can only dream lol.

That's a good point. I didn't think of that. You could be on to something.

David Minton
30 minutes ago, PatLaabs said:

Thanks. Glad I was able to get it but if I didn't I'd hope it went to a fellow rate collector as well. I'm still debating what to do with the army stuff. 

Gotcha. I haven't found much yet either and I believe you're right. Maybe there will be a third edition in the future maybe? One can only dream lol.

That's a good point. I didn't think of that. You could be on to something.

John Stacey passed away in 2021, so someone else would need to work on a third edition. There are very few collectors today doing anything close to the level of work that Stacey did.

This is the first I've heard of John Stacey's passing.  Very upsetting news.  David, do you know when in 2021 he passed?  He is a wonderful person, not to mention the incredible contributions he made to USN and USMC collecting interests and general history. 

15 hours ago, David Minton said:

John Stacey passed away in 2021, so someone else would need to work on a third edition. There are very few collectors today doing anything close to the level of work that Stacey did.

Oh wow I didn't know that. That's awful. Well damn okay. He did put alot of work into those books. Maybe one day we'll get something from someone else but for now his books will do. I never met him or anything but his work definitely helped me out quite alot as a newer collector.

17 hours ago, David Minton said:

WOW!  John was a great guy. Fair Winds and Following Seas. 

It was posted in another thread here (MCF) that John passed away in September.  Don't see any mention of Pelham in his book, but since it wasn't a navy rating, can't see why he would cover it.

Oh my, I didn't know that John Stacey had died. We corresponded by letters but I never met him in person. He stopped replying a couple of years ago, so I wondered if maybe he was not well. He was a great help and inspiration to me, this is sad news.

On 4/3/2022 at 10:49 AM, Justin B. said:

Oh my, I didn't know that John Stacey had died. We corresponded by letters but I never met him in person. He stopped replying a couple of years ago, so I wondered if maybe he was not well. He was a great help and inspiration to me, this is sad news.

Yeah Justin, I remember a few years back you personally recommended his book to me, which I promptly bought. I too am sorry to hear this.