Recent purchase, what do you think?

Theriddler

Hi Guys 

Took a calculated risk on Ebay and successfully bid on a M1 a guy had been using as a Motorbike helmet. Came with a rather tatty 70’s ERDL cover. When I took the cover off it revealed a late WW2 rear seam manganese McCord 1288D and a Westinghouse Liner with WW2 sweatband and nape strap.
The shell is painted black with MSGT Schlechta on the front. The liner is also painted black with what looks like a hand painted Eagle on the front and Decon on the back.

What does a black helmet signify? Does the Eagle and Decon mean anything?79A6583E-CAA9-4CE4-BAAA-EC7030474AE3.jpeg.a10fdf4f5692961d17bc9da30a972f3a.jpeg

etomilitaria

Nice pickup! I saw this listing and was curious about the shell. Can't help with the insignia unfortunately.

Etomilitaria thanks, didn’t expect to win the auction thought it might of went for a higher price. As I said took a chance, photos didn’t show the inside of the helmet but I had a hunch that the shell was WW2 due to the position of the bales in relation to the rim. Thought worst case scenario at least I’ve got a WW2 liner with period correct sweatband and nape strap.

Research indicates that the Marines and the Airforce use the abbreviation MSGT while the Army abbreviation is MSG so it might have come from the Marines or the Airforce. YouTube videos from the 60’s also show training staff with black liners so there’s the possibility Master Sergeant Schlechta was a training Sergeant.