ID a uniform owner via the ribbons?

FA_MAJ

I thought this might be fun to put out for speculation.  I have an Army officer's dress white uniform.  I picked it up at least 15 years ago at an antique store in Northern Virginia.  No tag or labels at all.  COL rank on the shoulders.  General Staff insignia on the lapels, so the basic branch is not evident - although there is no evidence of a CIB, so we can probably rule out infantry given the combat experience suggested by the ribbons.  I removed them from the uniform to clean it up a bit and took this pic.  

Here is what I think I can tell about the officer:  

1. No WWII victory medal, so entered service after December 31, 1946.

2. Entered service in time to get to Korea in time to earn 4 battle stars, so no later than April 1952. 

3. No good conduct medal, so likely did not have enlisted service.

4. No Armed Forces Reserve Medal, so did not have a reserve commission, so possibly a USMA grad. 

5. Served in Germany (Army of Occupation) and Vietnam (the obvious ribbons).  

6. Pre-1985 order of precedence where the ARCOM comes before the PH, and no Army Service Ribbon or Army Overseas Service ribbon, so left service before those came out in 1981.

7. Looks like a device is missing from the Bronze Star.  Maybe a "V" but probably a cluster.

8. Was a colonel, so probably ~30 years of service?

Any idea on how to narrow it down to potential owners or are there just too many guesses and assumptions to get into the ballpark?

Ribbons.jpg

Oh, also (but not pictured) is a Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation over the other pocket.  

All thoughts welcome!

Republic of Vietnam Staff Service Medal 1st Class

My guess is Artilleryman - Not a West Pointer since the Class of 1950 would have been eligible for the WWII Victory Medal (Eligibility ended December 1946) - With 4 combat stars for Korea I would guess he was on Occupation Duty in Japan and was rushed from Japan in June 1950. I am thinking he was ROTC in College or entered the Army as an OCS College Graduate but after 1946.

Could be West Point Class of 1951

The ribbon set is very modern with the connected stars - I think they came out in the 1990's

He switched to Staff Duty in Vietnam 

Bill

Interesting about the connected stars.  Hate that they are modern.  The possibility of a put-together uniform makes me less inclined to research - although as an FA guy myself, maybe it is worth it!