Original Civil War Holster - M1851 or M1860?

hello all,
opinions on this holster - is it the correct size or has it been cut down?

it does have the E. Gaylord / Chicopee / Mass stamping and the toe hole plug

thx for your help in advance

colt holster 1.jpg

colt holster 2.jpg

colt holster 3.jpg

colt holster 4.jpg

M24 Chaffee

I like the look of this and believe it’s ACW period. I don’t know enough to comment on if it’s been cut down. The CivilWarTalk website will have some folks that could comment further. Here’s a link to a forum on that website that discusses gear. They also have a small arms forum that should be helpful. 

https://civilwartalk.com/forums/relic-hunting-collecting.92/

Take care,

Frank

Frank,

thx for your help and yes I have already posted this holster there, but no one has chimed in yet

thx again    - do you go to the allentown gun shows?

mike 

It looks correct to me.  I seem to recall that around 1863 the government started making holsters that weren't fitted to a specific model, but were large enough to fit all the common Army and Navy-sized pistols.

M24 Chaffee

8 hours ago, mdk0911 said:

Frank,

thx for your help and yes I have already posted this holster there, but no one has chimed in yet

thx again    - do you go to the allentown gun shows?

mike 

It looks a lot like this one on Horsesoldier.com  https://www.horsesoldier.com/products/military-accoutrements/leather/holsters/39914

I have been to the Allentown show a few times in the past. Because of my schedule I’m not able to make them most of the time. It’s been quite awhile since I’ve gone but I did pick up a few nice pieces there. 

Frank

thx for all the comments all!!

Frank - thx for the link and I was looking at this holster on Horsesoldier earlier today to confirm -

That's a nice early Civil War holster. The later ones used a rivet and half circle stitching to fasten the tab like the one on the Horse Soldier site. 

Ron

thx again for the comments - I now own this holster and here are some nicer pictures -  certain the top plug is original and still attached.

012.JPG

024 (2).JPG

019 (2).JPG

025 (2).JPG

007.JPG