New Helmet-McCord with General Fiber liner

cerick1450

Hello

Just picked this up directly from vets estate.  It is a McCord Fixed bail  Heat lot number #192C.  The liner is unmarked, so I assumed general fiber???  It is complete except for some chew marks on the interior webbing, Liner chinstrap, Tie string and Sweatband.  The sweatband is a double wire.  I think this is pretty amazing find.  I haven't found a decent un-messed with helmet in while..  By the way, it has light scratch arks on the exterior rear counting in groups of 5.  I assume service time, not kills!!!!!  Comments... Thank you for looking..

IMG_3466.jpg1.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg2.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg3.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg4.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg5.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg6.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg7.jpg

thank you for the comments.  I was very happy to pick it up..  I also was mistaken, The liner is unmarked so it would be a Hawley made liner.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, given the A-washers and removable leather strap this appears to be a later type, out of the back of my head I'm thinking type 3? IIRC type 2 had the folded nape strap. 

Lucky find!  A great fixed bail with a nice type 3 Hawley!  The two makers are indistinguishable except for a "G" stamp that more often than not is faded away.  Ill try to attach a photo below.  As for the tally marks, it reminds me of tallys used by bomber crews to note how many missions they participated in, but that is pure speculation.  It could also be days in combat, as there are far too many to be months or years in service and too few to be days in service.  It is interesting to note the two upside-down A-washers!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Thanks to the family, I have identified this to a US army Nurse that was in the ETO in WW2.  Her initials are in the helmet.  The family provided me some information, Including giving me her white uniform from the war.  It is also named to her and has Gov't imprinted on the collar and the belt has the name XXXOND DU LAC Hospital.  Any Idea where this was?  per the family she was in Belgium at or near the front...

Here are a few pictures of the uniform.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Thanks to the family  I found out that she was in the 56th General Hospital in the ETO.  She was in England, France, and Belgium..

ww2collector1944
7 hours ago, cerick1450 said:

Thanks to the family  I found out that she was in the 56th General Hospital in the ETO.  She was in England, France, and Belgium..

awesome 

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing like a plain jane to fill out that collection, and a fiber liner to boot? Color me envious!

Congrats on the find 👏👏

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2022 at 2:19 PM, TheGoose said:

As for the tally marks, it reminds me of tallys used by bomber crews to note how many missions they participated in, but that is pure speculation.  It could also be days in combat, as there are far too many to be months or years in service and too few to be days in service.  

These ae likely short timer marks. He was counting down the days until his service ended, and he could go home.

Pretty cool, as it adds a personal touch, to a helmet with provenance. 

Nice looking set overall. Great find!