Jump to content

WWII Army Medical Corps insignia - What letters?


Recommended Posts

Been searching, but so far, not finding an answer to my question. Anywhere that shows/lists the different Army Medical insignia and what they were for? The caduceus with a letter in the center - that's what I'm particularly trying to find out what the letters stand for and what letters there actually were. Thanks for any help!



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, great! I can make most of it out, I think . . . .


Medical Corps (nothing on the caduceus) 

Medical Administrative Corps (an A)

Contract Surgeon (an S)

Dental Corps (a D)

Army Nurse Corps (an N)

Sanitary Corps (an S)

Hospital something (can't see what initials)

I'm think a PT Aide? (can't see initials)



So . . . sparks a few questions. What is a "contract" surgeon? Also, what did the Medical Administrative Corps handle? And those last two . . . anyone know the details?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Contract Surgeons (CS on the caduceus later just C) were civilian employees of the Army. Many Contract Surgeons were women because a woman could not be an Army doctor so they were contracted and not actually in the Army. Medical Administrative Corps is just what the name implies, they were not medical personnel but do the paper work and keep everything running smoothly.

There were also;

R for Medical reserve (WWI)


MS for Medical Service

WS (the same letters but turned up side down) for Women's Service



Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...