Intermediate map case

sgtdorango

I picked this map case up today and was wondering what year it might have been used or manufactured? Ive never seen one like it but Im no gear expert and I just have a few field gear items I find in my hunt for helmets!.....so this one has two snap closures and is marked US on front cover and inside is marked Case Map Intermediate part no. 80-2536 Nordac Mfg Corp....it is aproximatelt 13 inches long with plastic like cover for map and pencil holder too, I went on line and googled a Normandy 1944 map and made a copy and added it and an old pencil for display!!!....I would appreciate any info or help about this map case..was this kept inside the regular mapcase?...thanks.......mike

post-350-1235015705.jpg

post-350-1235015720.jpg

craig_pickrall

NORDAC located in Orange County, VA just outside Fredericksburg was a GOVT contractor but they also made lots of military gear for the civilian market. I don't think that was an issue map case but they were bought and used by GI's as a private purchase item. I'm guessing it was made in 1980. I don't remember the year but it was probably before 1985 that they got caught up in fraud over a GOVT contract and went out of business. Most of their manufacturing equipment and stock was purchased by what is now known as London Bridge Trading Co in Virginia Beach, VA. This is a post Vietnam item.

that odd thing still retains a sharp & correct military look... think.gif would that item be an aditional part of a nam or post-nam era M38 map case to fit in one of the compartments? think.gif