RI woman arrested for profiting off fake Bronze Star, Purple Heart

WEAVER45

I hope that those who fake medal groups think twice before they do it after reading this.

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/providence/ri-woman-arrested-for-profiting-off-fake-bronze-star-purple-heart/

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — A former Providence VA Medical Center employee was arrested Monday by federal investigators who say she used fake accolades and military medals to bilk nonprofits out of thousands of dollars meant for war heroes.

Sarah Cavanaugh, 31, of Warwick, was charged with multiple federal offenses related to wire fraud, faking military awards and service, along with aggravated identity theft. U.S. Magistrate Judge Lincoln Almond ordered she be released on $50,000 bail under multiple conditions, including not traveling out of state or attempting to contact any potential witnesses.

Prosecutors allege Cavanaugh claimed for years she served in the U.S. Marine Corps and received some of the military’s highest honors, including the Bronze Star Medal with a “V” Device — given for acts of valor in combat — along with a Purple Heart

dhcoleterracina

I had thought that the courts overturned the SVA on the grounds that it infringed on the First Amendment. Am I wrong on that?  In this case she fraudulently received funds from the Wounded Warrior Project and others. Are the charges for fraud only?  

She went waaaay beyond stolen valor. She's sick. One of things not listed in the other link, she was trying to get hired at Patrol Base Abbate as a counselor.

https://www.20thcvetsmem.org/woman-pretended-to-be-a-navy-vet-dying-of-cancer-to-scam-veterans-charities/

Sgt. Matt Abbate:

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/sergeant-matthew-t-abbates-sniper-rifle-sits-in-front-b55b44

https://www.blackfive.net/main/2012/08/doing-what-needed-to-be-done-marine-sergeant-matthew-abbate-sysk.html

Patrol Base Abbate:

https://www.pbabbate.org

She probably got away with it a bit longer being she went the more modest route of claiming to be a recipient of a BS/PH as opposed to the clowns who go “all in” by wearing a Navy Cross.  

15 minutes ago, joeclown said:

How did she ever become the Commander of a VFW post?

Joeclown, my friend, you are in my head.

I had typed a similar thought hours ago and deleted it.  

Not that DD-214s aren't also faked, but does nobody ask to see those?

Especially as prolific as these situations seem to be, and where $1000s of dollars are at stake, it seems like at least a starting point (?).  

She had presented a falsified DD214 to the VA, I believe.  So was savvy enough to at least attempt doing that - yet somehow couldn't figure out the anchors on her EGAs.

34 minutes ago, AustinO said:

She had presented a falsified DD214 to the VA, I believe.  So was savvy enough to at least attempt doing that - yet somehow couldn't figure out the anchors on her EGAs.

Ah, I was not aware of that.

That makes more sense.

Rhode Island and corruption go together like Ice and Tea - ask any former resident. It's a sport there. Amazing she got away with it as long as she did.

manayunkman

I have lived as well as have many friends in RI and none of them are corrupt.

Some of them have been very generous to Rhode Island.

I love Rhode Island.

I don’t even remember what the topic is.

41 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

I have lived as well as have many friends in RI and none of them are corrupt.

Some of them have been very generous to Rhode Island.

I love Rhode Island.

I don’t even remember what the topic is.

It is my opinion that the state reeks of corruption and there are sadly a lot of corrupt people who make that state their home.  The politics of corruption run deep there and affect all strata of society- 60 minutes even did a story on the state many years ago calling the segment 'Rogues Island'

I love RI too-it's where I was I was born and raised and escaped from. I have plenty of family and friends still there and they could easily verify that corruption is a way of life there..... [buddy cianci, ed depriete, to name a couple of the more infamous]

But I would never go back. To see this happen there is not a shock to me.

Yes, there are many good people there as there are in all corrupt places. But graft and corruption run very deep and many a RIer winks and sighs 'aw shucks' that's the way it's done here..

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-05-15-mn-5160-story.html

Getting elected commander of a VFW post isn't overly difficult, and since she already had a faked DD-214, she wouldn't have had any problem applying for membership. To get elected as a post commander, all one needs to do is express a desire to be post commander, get nominated for the position and then get elected. These positions are voluntary and they take up a lot of a person's spare time.  Typically, you'll find the leadership positions filled with retired veterans, but occasionally, you have someone who is really gung-ho who wants to take the position on and expresses their desire. You will often times find people running unopposed for these positions, and when there is a race, it pretty much turns into a popularity contest.

My two cents.

Allan

manayunkman
8 hours ago, Thor996 said:

It is my opinion that the state reeks of corruption and there are sadly a lot of corrupt people who make that state their home.  The politics of corruption run deep there and affect all strata of society- 60 minutes even did a story on the state many years ago calling the segment 'Rogues Island'

I love RI too-it's where I was I was born and raised and escaped from. I have plenty of family and friends still there and they could easily verify that corruption is a way of life there..... [buddy cianci, ed depriete, to name a couple of the more infamous]

But I would never go back. To see this happen there is not a shock to me.

Yes, there are many good people there as there are in all corrupt places. But graft and corruption run very deep and many a RIer winks and sighs 'aw shucks' that's the way it's done here..

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-05-15-mn-5160-story.html

WOW!!

You can say the same about the entire country and all of humanity.

Rhode Island is not to blame for her actions she alone is responsible.

This is one of those trust but verify stories. It’s not hard to validate someone’s service these days, but takes a little investigative work. Anyone can fake DD Form 214 data if they’re crafty. If you look at her photo and notice the reversed EGAs, that’s clue number one. If you research her name and come up empty on the internet about her purported service and receiving the PH, that’s clue number two. Then dig further. It appears she was taken at face value until the questions went deeper into her background. 

6 minutes ago, decwriter said:

This is one of those trust but verify stories. It’s not hard to validate someone’s service these days, but takes a little investigative work. Anyone can fake DD Form 214 data if they’re crafty. If you look at her photo and notice the reversed EGAs, that’s clue number one. If you research her name and come up empty on the internet about her purported service and receiving the PH, that’s clue number two. Then dig further. It appears she was taken at face value until the questions went deeper into her background. 

The EGAs are what got her, a USN PR officer (prior Marine) noticed it and started digging. 

35 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

WOW!!

You can say the same about the entire country and all of humanity.

Rhode Island is not to blame for her actions she alone is responsible.

Exactly!  I sure do not like it when my state is judged on a few redneck bubbas.  

...Kat

I think it would be beneficial to keep focused on the OP's topic, as I sense that we're straying into typical areas of division (politics).

I am no shrinking violet, but growing up farming in a blue-collar household, I take exception to the use of "redneck" in a pejorative way.

My general experience has been that so-called "rednecks" are hard-working honest people that earn their own way.  If you would like to judge my state that way, I'd be so honored.

Let's be careful with words folks.

Hood for all these things Morning Folks,  Well, I speak here as an long time RI native & resident, having spent my whole life here except the 8 or so years as a kid when my Father was employed by NASA at Cape Canaveral / Kennedy from 1965 - 72+. Therefore, I at least feel I speak as someone with an overall knowledge, & perhaps more importantly an understanding of 'our' Rhode Island phenomenon, for lack of a more fitting 'descriptor'. Well, in a very brief statement, again by someone who did 32 years in State Law Enforcement, along with watching, sometimes very closely the inner workings, political maneuverings, legislative appointments, & or all the other related mechanics of 'our' unique little State Government, I can truthfully say, without reservation that RI is now, & has pretty much always been, shall we say, 'Industrially Corrupt', plain & simple !! If you wish to play in any of the public arenas, well be fully prepared to ingratiate yourself into someone's group. And by ingratiate, I do of course mean the old, 'payola', 'backsheesh', or any one of the many terms used to politely refer to the pay off. ( Which of course may take many forms, although good old cash tends to be the primary & preferred means. ) BUT, in closing here, I would be remiss if I chose not to mention all the 'straight up', dedicated & beyond reproach Law Enforcement Personnel, along with of course their civilian counterparts in our Legal & Judicial Systems which have, & continue to engage the endemic type of crime / corruption that has always plagued our beautiful little State !! And, this may tend to annoyed some people off a bit, but 'in my opinion only', such corruption tends to be centered around the political arena, NOT in Law Enforcement, although as we all realize, 'There could be a bad apple in any bunch' !!  AND lastly, please be advised that we here in 'Little Rhody' are by no means alone in our not that unique 'problem'. I, along with I'm sure many of us here could reel off a list of U.S. States that endure very similar issues, & like RI, are trying their best to confront them. ( Well, hopefully anyway ! ) OK Kids, that's MY PERSONAL OPINION as to the situation. Others of course may harbor a different opinion, & they're welcome to them ! Take care, 

Best,    dpast32

manayunkman

Why even judge states on the forum?

My point being that the initial comment was not called for.

The discussion is about Stolen Valor.

I don’t know why she did it but I’m sure it was her decision to do it and that Rhode Island just happened to be the location du jour.

These Stolen Valor cases are country wide. 

On 3/14/2022 at 6:09 PM, dhcoleterracina said:

I had thought that the courts overturned the SVA on the grounds that it infringed on the First Amendment. Am I wrong on that?  In this case she fraudulently received funds from the Wounded Warrior Project and others. Are the charges for fraud only?  

That portion of the SVA that pertained to speech was overturned.  Stating you are a recipient of a certain award is protected speech based on the concept that everyone lies.  “Honey, I’m working late at the office tonight,” when you are actually meeting friends for a drink is an example.  The wearing of unentitled medals was not overturned.  This is where this young lady ran afoul of the law.