Roosevelt, de Gaulle, and Stalin

billl

I just picked up these little statues. Roosevelt, DeGaulle, and Stalin. Probably Chalkware. Curious whether anyone has seen them before. Guessing late war to early post war. DeGaulle wasn't too visible until post war. I think Roosevelt and Ike intentionally minimalized him.

20220313_181751.jpg

On 3/14/2022 at 6:16 AM, manayunkman said:

How big are they?

Anything on the base?

About 3 inches tall. No markings on the bases.

2 hours ago, manayunkman said:

They look like composition figures made in Europe right after the war.

That's my take, too. Late 1945. Maybe 1946. I suspect there were 4 - Churchill is on vacation. But I've never seen these before, and they don't appear in any of my reference books. Hoping someone else knows a little more.

manayunkman
3 hours ago, billl said:

That's my take, too. Late 1945. Maybe 1946. I suspect there were 4 - Churchill is on vacation. But I've never seen these before, and they don't appear in any of my reference books. Hoping someone else knows a little more.

What reference books do you have?

7 hours ago, manayunkman said:

What reference books do you have?

Here are some. I have another half a dozen around the house. Sorry they are not upright. Don't know why they do that - it's not how they were taken.

20220316_084454.jpg

20220316_084503.jpg

20220316_084514.jpg

20220316_084556.jpg

20220316_084620.jpg

20220316_084627.jpg

20220316_084633.jpg

20220316_084650(1).jpg

20220316_084701(1).jpg

20220316_084709.jpg

manayunkman

I thought you had toy soldier books.

Sorry I should have been more clear.

There were many European composition toy figure makers and many of them were not marked and was hoping you had some sort of reference.

A very old collecting friend in Germany was keeping records of all the composition makers and had a world class collection to boot.

He died several years ago and his grandchildren threw it all out because much of it reminded them of a time they would rather forget.

One of the best references I have found for these toys is this website https://en.toy-soldier-gallery.com/Index.cgi 

However you do have to register to really look around on it.  

Second best source I found is the books “The war toys 1” “The war toys 2”. By Reggie Polaine&David Hawkins.  But they focus mostly on the elastolin/Hauser toys which was what I was researching. 

49 minutes ago, Usmc2004 said:

One of the best references I have found for these toys is this website https://en.toy-soldier-gallery.com/Index.cgi 

However you do have to register to really look around on it.  

Second best source I found is the books “The war toys 1” “The war toys 2”. By Reggie Polaine&David Hawkins.  But they focus mostly on the elastolin/Hauser toys which was what I was researching. 

Thanks much for the suggestion.

manayunkman

While the list on the toy soldier gallery is very comprehensive it sticks with the most well known makers.

The maker of your figures is not represented.

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

While the list on the toy soldier gallery is very comprehensive it sticks with the most well known makers.

The maker of your figures is not represented.

Thanks. I suspect these were rather "patriotic figures" and not toy soldiers. But I never thought to look in a toy catalog. Thx.