unknown carrying case

bent barrel

I've had two of these carrying cases in my collection (I'll buy anything!) for some time now but don't really know why. any ideas?

post-5445-1235012245.jpg

Probably V.N. vintage, they're so clean.

That makes sense, actually. I have seen a scope case before but it was marked as "Carying case M65" or some such- but it did look very similar. Maybe they came with my M1D that I bought a long time ago. Thanks

craig_pickrall

Just going from memory without checking any manuals I think it is the carrying case for the slide rule that goes with the artillery plotting board.

craig_pickrall

I checked the Data Ordnance Sheet Manual and found the following. In all of the telescopes or rifle scopes listed that will fit a case like this, including the M84 mentioned, there is no web carrying case listed as an accessory. Usually optical equipment is carried in a hard case to protect the delicate settings.

The following two pics were the only ones showing a case like what you posted. This is the Artillery Plotting Slide Rule that I mentioned previously.

Military dealers may very well put scopes in those web cases but I do not think that was ever their intended purpose.

post-5-1235066339.jpg

post-5-1235066347.jpg

I checked the Data Ordnance Sheet Manual and found the following. In all of the telescopes or rifle scopes listed that will fit a case like this, including the M84 mentioned, there is no web carrying case listed as an accessory. Usually optical equipment is carried in a hard case to protect the delicate settings.

The following two pics were the only ones showing a case like what you posted. This is the Artillery Plotting Slide Rule that I mentioned previously.

Military dealers may very well put scopes in those web cases but I do not think that was ever their intended purpose.

post-5-1235066339.jpg

post-5-1235066347.jpg

i'll agree with you craig...it is a ruler case as you discovered but these pouches are heavily missidentified in any country...everyone from athens of greece to texas of USA believing is a scope pouch!!!

craig_pickrall

They are worth a lot more to dealers as exotic sniper scope cases besides when was the last time you saw a slide rule or someone that wanted a case for one?

They are worth a lot more to dealers as exotic sniper scope cases besides when was the last time you saw a slide rule or someone that wanted a case for one?

hmmm....well...i will say yes but not allways....that's the case in america were the interest & demand on militaria items is high but not in greece were the market & profit is small...i have seen scopes in these pouches in greek scrapyards and other impossible places were i know very very well the bussiness owners dont have a clue about militaria...they are just crap dealers & their collecting expertising is many degrees below zero...they just got them as they are straight from the army & they did'nt alter anything!!! seems that in the army are missidentified as well!!!! w00t.gif & used as scope cases despite the fact that are not paded but if you think that the greek army is an old faithfull american ally & copying the american army down to the last detail & getting alot of military aid from america i suspect that this is an old 50s american job & sent to greece just as they are:thumbsup:

The mystery is solved!!

Thanks Craig and coolman for all the addition info.

RON

your welcome doyler but all the credits goes to craig...i was believing for many years as everyone alse that these were scope pouches... :blink:

Craig- You've probably solved it- I too find it hard to believe that a scope would be carried in such a flimsy case-but I noticed a couple of inconsistencies in the page you copied:

1. the sliderule is 12+ inches long and 2 3/4 wide. the case dimensions are 14 1/2 long by 4 1/4 wide- the rule would be awfully hard to reach being 2 inches or so buried in this case and pretty sloppy width-wise to boot.

2. The picture shows the case as being marked M67-this case has 7 digit number, which doesn't mean much I admit, depending on when it was made and by whom.

So, if for a rule of some type, maybe a bigger/ later one ?

All good inputs, thanks much.

Still learning!

Cheers.

craig_pickrall

The data sheets I used were from the 1962 time period. Later developments during Vietnam may have dictated a change in the slide rule design and the case. It is possible that your case was used with some other piece of equipment too. It could have something to do with another weapon system or communications or something engineering related. I just don't think it was ever intended to be a rifle scope case.

all the books are focused on the typical gear a soldier is carring in the battle-no books about the thousands unidentified cases pouches & carriers

the number of these items is huge & chaotic both in US & british militaria & maybe the same chaotic to the german militaria....we know only a small fragment of all the militaria items

hmmm....well...i will say yes but not allways....that's the case in america were the interest & demand on militaria items is high but not in greece were the market & profit is small...i have seen scopes in these pouches in greek scrapyards and other impossible places were i know very very well the bussiness owners dont have a clue about militaria...they are just crap dealers & their collecting expertising is many degrees below zero...they just got them as they are straight from the army & they did'nt alter anything!!! seems that in the army are missidentified as well!!!! w00t.gif & used as scope cases despite the fact that are not paded but if you think that the greek army is an old faithfull american ally & copying the american army down to the last detail & getting alot of military aid from america i suspect that this is an old 50s american job & sent to greece just as they are:thumbsup:

You can find scopes in scrap yards??!!!!! I need a trip to Greece!

You can find scopes in scrap yards??!!!!! I need a trip to Greece!

i dont think you can pass them from the airport...i'v never heard of anyone going to airports with army scopes...scrapyard is scrapyard & airport is airport amigo bent barrel w00t.gif:lol: