ID'd M1917a1 Kelly Helmet

Ollkorrekt37

Ollkorrekt37

Hello again, one helmet I used to dismiss often was the Kelly since it was real cheap online, and was a bit of a mixup between the M1917 and M1, but now it's my favorite in my whole collection!

This one I can say was not cheap, ($200 total) but the price reflects the quality i hope!

Every bit is original, and has the interior top pad, the one thing I was hoping for when looking for one of these. To my luck,  I spotted a very nice looking Kelly with three numbers and an owner to place. Upon searching on one of the many veteran databases, I find a John C. White, born in 1919, drafted on April 21st 1941 in New Jersey, possibly Trenton. Enlistment term for the Panama Canal Department.

I have no information on them after this, so after December 7th, who knows where they went. I have also went on grave search websites and unfortunately, their common name brings quite a few "Private John Whites from Trenton."

(Pics posted as a reply to reduce clutter)

D-3901

HQ7614

If someone could let me know what that last number is, and to find information after enlistment, that would be greatly appreciated!

kside1.jpg.867bae7721b57ea67c2e54a367219cb0.jpgkfront.jpg.5ac6bf9877aa7ffd807c87b0c442f320.jpgkint.jpg.047999b0ee1c283a337aa7f815d056b1.jpgkbuckle.jpg.c1f36a2fdcb78ab87e9bed2d926cc95b.jpg

Ollkorrekt37

Writing inside liner

Also something in cursive written on the pad, but I'm too nervous of breaking the leather tie after messing with it!

knum1.jpg

knum2.jpg

kpad.jpg

Ollkorrekt37

Inside is the heat stamp. I believe this is a reissued M1917 due to the stamp, but it's too lightly pressed to make out anything more than H over 6. Also, paint job appears to be hand done, and very messy at that! Is this the same paint used on the early M1s? They bear a striking resemblance to me.

kstamp.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

This is a nice original piece. $200 is very fair in this market. Named examples don't come around frequently either. I would be happy with this piece.

Ollkorrekt37
10 hours ago, aef1917 said:

This one is a refurbished British Mk I shell. 

Thanks, I knew something was definitely different with this, especially with how low the rivets were compared to the rest of my shells. Seeing how this helmet has essentially been to three continents makes it even more interesting to me!