1969 graffitied foot locker

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

This is the group of my wife's Uncle, she inherited it many years ago when he had passed away.  I believe he was fortunate enough to have served in Germany as an MP during the height of the Vietnam War.  The main focus of this post is in regard to his rather unique graffitied or folk art painted foot locker.  I know how popular original graffitied Nam helmets are so I thought this foot locker may be of interest to some.  He painted his foot locker upon his discharge and return to the states in June of 1969.  It contains mostly hippie & psychedelic inspired art work & references.  There might be some value to this foot locker, not so much as a piece of militaria but rather as an original piece of vintage folk art.   Please forgive the quality of the photos, my wife has the foot locker stored up in the attic and the conditions for photo taking were not ideal.  Hope you enjoy.          

fl1.jpg

fl2.jpg

fl3.jpg

fl4.jpg

fl5.jpg

fl6.jpg

fl7.jpg

fl8.jpg

fl9.jpg

fl10.jpg

That's awesome. A time capsule. There's a 'duality of man' speech in there somewhere. I think because he was in the military it adds value, the combined duo. A sign of the times.

Thanks for sharing. I hope your family keeps it all together for the next generations.

Fixbayonets!

Glad you guys liked it and yes, it is staying in the family.  Funny thing is, it's the only military related thing in my house that is technically not mine.  

• 5 weeks later...

He was helluva an artist, that’s for sure. Great job of capturing psychedelic art. Couldn’t help note his FTA image……..drive on.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes great item. The military and pop culture aspects are pretty much inseparable for plenty. The late 60's were especially iconic in that regard. 

Fixbayonets!

One thing I recently noticed is the name Moore painted on the top lid.  This is not my Wife's Uncles last name so I suspect this is the name of the artist who painted the footlocker.   He must had a friend with some artistic ability and had him/her paint his footlocker with his sentiments.