Always Look For Details.

JerryTheGerman

JerryTheGerman

Today I was looking at my WW2 USMC helmet I bought a while back and I looked inside in the liner, and wouldn’t you know it! A name showed up. It is a bit hard to see on camera but it looks to be Ralph D. Davis (The S looks like a D in photos) and looked it up and looks like he was in the 2nd Marine Division from 1943-1945 and saw action on Okinawa. So just remember when you’re buying something, Always look for details.

5BFF47EE-B12E-4C74-84F6-2CD87448DFB6.jpeg

3B45F033-9394-45AE-B4C5-68EA407C3E2D.jpeg

62AB746C-5462-43F0-B18D-5781A3E17652.jpeg

I have found two names in WWI Marine helmets after the purchase that was never mentioned by the seller. The names weren’t easy to see but definitely there. In both cases, the muster rolls provided information on the Marines service that was consistent with the company and battalion painted on the helmet. On a third helmet, I located initials and using the brigade roster narrowed the helmet as belonging to one of two Marines. Congrats, you have a beautiful piece there. 

JerryTheGerman
33 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Isn’t it sweet when something like that happens ?

Good luck in the hunt.

Always is! And best of all this was my first period helmet (got burned by a EGA one when I first got into PTO stuff)