World War One 37th Division Photo

37thguy

Anyone have idea's on this one. Obviously a woman, but why is she in a WW1 tunic? I'm sure this is POST WAR, but still...? The pic was offered to me some time ago but it was a little more that I wanted to pay. Maybe one of you owns the original?

Anyway I'd like to get some opinions on this.

Thanks

Mark

post-729-1235003593.jpeg

FightenIrish35

man this sure is an odd on 37th....seem to my eyes that those are crossed rifles as well..i blew it up and its defintly infantry...ill be looking foward to peoples answers for this one think.gif

My 1st thought was it's her husbands or boyfriends tunic? Maybe he was KIA and she wanted a pic for posterity? I rather doubt that she served in the division, but.....? think.gif

Anyone else?

My 1st thought was it's her husbands or boyfriends tunic?

I think you hit the nail on the head. The wife/girlfriend dressed up in the husband/boyfriend uniform was a common theme for post-war photographs. I have a few, and I'm sure others do as well. Another common theme was the Tallest/Shortest.

The tone of this one is a bit more serious than most; they usually tend to be candid shots.

There were indeed uniformed women with the Army during WW1: Hello Girls of the Signal Corps, Clerks in the Quartermaster Corps, and Nurses, Dietitians, and Rehabiliation Aids in the Medical Corps, but none were in the 37th Division, and certainly none were infantry.

Chris

I wondered the same thing. I also wonder if perhaps it's a I Corps -- the colors would bee the same in b/w.

G

I Corps tends to be much darker in the center of the patch.

My first impression is what you've guys already guessed- a husband/boyfriend's uniform. I'm also in agreement it's a 37th Div SSI & not 1st Corps.

Neat photo!

Chris nailed it. Photos of wife's, girlfriends and other family members wearing their husbands, brothers, or boyfriends uniform was a popular subject to photograph from the turn of the century through WWI. Nice image.

Croix de Guerre

Yup girlfreind, wife etc. These were very poular and I have several in my collection. Like Chris said this one is a little unusual as she appears to be so serious, most often every one is grinning like Cheshirs cats! :lol:

teufelhunde.ret

I would nominate her as the "Mona Lisa" of US Militaria forum. Her fixed faint smile just beckons a response and the framed composition of her face... is absolutely gorgious... she is a "classic beauty" :love:

post_729_1235003593.jpg