37thguy

World War One 37th Division Photo

Anyone have idea's on this one. Obviously a woman, but why is she in a WW1 tunic? I'm sure this is POST WAR, but still...? The pic was offered to me some time ago but it was a little more that I wanted to pay. Maybe one of you owns the original?

Anyway I'd like to get some opinions on this.

Thanks

Mark

post-729-1235003593.jpeg

Looking for for 37th Division

VietNam and earlier Special Forces &

USS Hemminger DE 746 items

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

See my FB sales page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1928884587130681/pending/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

man this sure is an odd on 37th....seem to my eyes that those are crossed rifles as well..i blew it up and its defintly infantry...ill be looking foward to peoples answers for this one think.gif

Regards,

Michael Sweeney--Researcher and Collector of WW2 77TH Division

If you have any named items to a 77th Division Soldier please contact me!!!

In memoroy of my Grandfather

Eugene Henry Sweeney

1st Lieutenant of the 306th

Infantry Regiment Company L -

Veteran of Guam and Leyte

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Some sort of support role maybe? Ambulance driver,etc? think.gif

Looking for WWII, Nam items, Painted or Decaled Liners, and Military Pocket Bibles

My dog loves SPAM and snores like a drunken Sailor!

C Battery 2/32 FA BN

Sgt/E5

Giessen, Germany

1987-1990

remoteImage.gif

My 1st thought was it's her husbands or boyfriends tunic? Maybe he was KIA and she wanted a pic for posterity? I rather doubt that she served in the division, but.....? think.gif

Anyone else?

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

My 1st thought was it's her husbands or boyfriends tunic?

I think you hit the nail on the head. The wife/girlfriend dressed up in the husband/boyfriend uniform was a common theme for post-war photographs. I have a few, and I'm sure others do as well. Another common theme was the Tallest/Shortest.

The tone of this one is a bit more serious than most; they usually tend to be candid shots.

There were indeed uniformed women with the Army during WW1: Hello Girls of the Signal Corps, Clerks in the Quartermaster Corps, and Nurses, Dietitians, and Rehabiliation Aids in the Medical Corps, but none were in the 37th Division, and certainly none were infantry.

Chris

767409605_sigcustom3.png.e95257302e2a500ba241cd8cdc44ff0c.png

I wondered the same thing. I also wonder if perhaps it's a I Corps -- the colors would bee the same in b/w.

G

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I wondered the same thing. I also wonder if perhaps it's a I Corps -- the colors would bee the same in b/w.

G

I Corps tends to be much darker in the center of the patch.

My first impression is what you've guys already guessed- a husband/boyfriend's uniform. I'm also in agreement it's a 37th Div SSI & not 1st Corps.

Neat photo!

WANTED!

WWI Aero Squadron items such as insignia, uniforms & my favorite- PHOTOS! Will purchase or work out a possible trade

HIGHLY SOUGHT- Anything related to the AEF Photo Sections or 85th,258th & 278th Aero Squadrons.

To be alone, to have your life in your own hands, to use your own skill, single-handed, against the enemy. It was like the lists of the Middle Ages, the only sphere in modern warfare where a man saw his adversary and faced him in mortal combat, the only sphere where there was still chivalry and honour. If you won, it was your own bravery and skill; if you lost, it was because you had met a better man
-Cecil Lewis

Chris nailed it. Photos of wife's, girlfriends and other family members wearing their husbands, brothers, or boyfriends uniform was a popular subject to photograph from the turn of the century through WWI. Nice image.

Always looking for items associated with the China Marines! Visit chinamarine.org

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Yup girlfreind, wife etc. These were very poular and I have several in my collection. Like Chris said this one is a little unusual as she appears to be so serious, most often every one is grinning like Cheshirs cats! :lol:

WANTED TO BUY OR TRADE - AMERICAN FIELD SERVICE, NORTON-HARJES AMBULANCE CORPS, AMERICAN RED CROSS IN ITALY, CZECH AND POLISH LEGIONS AND ANY ARTIFACTS ASSOCIATED WITH AMERICANS THAT SERVED IN FOREIGN ARMIES IN WORLD WAR ONE

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

ecSXx.jpg

"Je meurs content, puisque nous sommes victorieux! Vive la France!

Definately a girlfriend/wife photo.

Still decent though.

...or sell it on ebay as "Super Rare Portrait of Woman in WW1 with Insignia!". :rolleyes:

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

I posted one of these smiling gals here:

WWI Portrait Collection (Look for post #164)

Maybe not exactly a smiling Chesire cat, but you get the point.

WANTED!

WWI Aero Squadron items such as insignia, uniforms & my favorite- PHOTOS! Will purchase or work out a possible trade

HIGHLY SOUGHT- Anything related to the AEF Photo Sections or 85th,258th & 278th Aero Squadrons.

To be alone, to have your life in your own hands, to use your own skill, single-handed, against the enemy. It was like the lists of the Middle Ages, the only sphere in modern warfare where a man saw his adversary and faced him in mortal combat, the only sphere where there was still chivalry and honour. If you won, it was your own bravery and skill; if you lost, it was because you had met a better man
-Cecil Lewis

I would nominate her as the "Mona Lisa" of US Militaria forum. Her fixed faint smile just beckons a response and the framed composition of her face... is absolutely gorgious... she is a "classic beauty" :love:

post_729_1235003593.jpg

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

Thanks guys, good to know what this is. Interesting what we can learn on this site! thumbsup.gif