Numbered USMC GCM

Sailorjerry45

Sailorjerry45

Hello gentlemen,

I picked this numbered GCM up at a shop here in CA and was wondering if anyone could help me find the man it was awarded to? I know that these aren't always identifiable but you never know what information is out there! Rim number is 29731.

20220310_204448.jpg.33f0be7a9a6e80beb46f5c3ac0867cab.jpg20220310_204508.jpg.bc5ae069ee057f56e25ad0b1678b9d43.jpg

They are never identifiable unfortunately. WWI rim numbered GCM’s were issued to those who enlisted for the duration of the war.If you had the mans name, you can often verify the number through his records, but with no name, there is unfortunately no list of numbers with names attached. Yours is a relatively low number, and from my experience, this man likely enlisted early, say 1917 or early 1918. The numbers went up to 75,000 or so. Your Marine could very likely have seen combat in France, but no way to say for sure. Good luck. 

Hello,

Here is straight scoop on rim numbered USMC GCM's.  Rim numbered Marine Corps Good Conduct Medals were issued right after World War I.  They were supposed to only have been issued to Marines who enlisted for the duration of the war, I'm sure there were a few exceptions.  To receive one of these Good Conduct Medals there was no specified time period only that the Marine's character of service be excellent.  These medals were impressed with an "No." prefixed and numbered between 20,000 and about 71,000.  There are a few examples where the number was engraved on the medal rather than impressed.  These were issued in white cardboard boxes with the medal number on the box's lid.  The number on the medal is simply a way the company that made these accounted for how many were made and delivered.  The numbers are often found on Good Conduct Medal certificates, written in a Marine's service record, listed in other forms of correspondence, or sometimes as a entry in the USMC muster rolls when they were awarded.  No comprehensive list of these medals and their recipients is known to exist.

I have a small list of WWI Marine Good Conduct Medal recipients. The list accounts for about 1,500 of the approximately 51,000 numbered medals issued to Marines after the war. Unfortunately your medal, No. 29731, is not on the list.  Based on the number your medal was most likely issued to a Marine who enlisted in July 1917.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Sailorjerry45

Thank you both for the information! I know rim numbered awards are hard to trace without a name but I figured it was worth a shot.