Air Medal

Twillie2

I have a DFC awarded to an enlisted sailor who was shot down and KIA in WWII Pacific. I don't have any other medals awarded to him.  Question: would he have been awarded an Air Medal (AM) before being awarded a DFC? If not, why? 

It's my understanding that the AM was / is awarded more for meritorious rather than heroic services / actions. I've seen cases where a person was shot down and awarded an AM as opposed to a DFC. Was it a situation where the pilot who was usually an officer was recognized with a higher award and the enlisted person given a Letter of Commendation for the same action? 

Thanks for the help.

Twillie2

Its an "It All Depends" answer.  Air Medals were awarded for different reasons by the USN during WWII.  Could be an individual action or could be based on flight/strikes.  On Navy AM's the date is always engraved on them. If its a specific day, its for a specific action. If it a date span it based on a number of missions.

Sometimes , mainly the pilot, was awarded a higher decoration than the rest of the crew.  It was not unusual for Midway for a pilot to get a Navy Cross and his back seater a DFC.

Kurt