A Few Pineapple Pickups and a Couple Questions

J.Q.M.D.

Greetings all,

I've picked up a few grenades over the last couple weeks and, and I figured I would share them here.  I'm a novice when it comes to grenades, so if you guys could give me some information on them, I would greatly appreciate it!  The first one I believe is an early training grenade with a WWI era(ish) fuse.  It looks to have originally been painted red, but has a black overpaint that seems to be very old.  It also has a zinc(?) plug in the base.  The manufacturers mark appears to be a raised "C" in a square.  The second one looks to be the same pattern and manufacturer, but a different mold number.  It has been painted a very strange blue color and has a zinc(?) plug in the base.  It appears to have a gray color under the blue.  I planned on stripping the paint off it, unless you all think I shouldn't.  The third appears to be a later WWII Mk. II with a solid base.  It looks to have originally been painted yellow and now has an OD overpaint.  The manufacturers mark is a "U".   

So here are my questions.  What era and manufacturers are the red and blue Mk.IIs?  I have been told that the red one is a very early one.  Should I remove the blue paint?  What is the manufacturer of the WWII one.  And lastly, where could I find some original M10 series fuse components (rings, spoons, etc).  I'm also looking for a relic condition M10 series fuse for a dug Mk.II in my collection.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

JQMD

mk2s-1.jpg

mk2s-2.jpg

mk2s-3.jpg

mk2s-4.jpg

mk2s-5.jpg

mk2s-6.jpg

mk2s-7.jpg

mk2s-8.jpg

mk2s-9.jpg

mk2s-10.jpg

12 hours ago, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

Not about any info, but I would love to have that red patina as a paint job on a car!

I agree.  The patina really makes that one look great! 

eaglerunner88

I'm no frag expert but you did your research so kudos. But I know you have some real beauties there. That first one is very very rare with the shorter spoon and stubby/cut-back fuze assembly (Bouchon Assembly Mk. II with No. 6 Detonator), dating to the early 1920s(?)  Even the pull pin is correct for the grenade, not having been replaced in later years. The red indicates training, pre-dating the blue training paint adopted in 1926? I wouldn't strip the paint as those are becoming rare to find. As for third, the paint job looks original to me. Haven't found what maker the U stands for, maybe universal or united...?

Here's site with some good info: http://tgrm.foxed.ca/Americangrenades/Mk II/The Mk 2 grenade.html

5 hours ago, eaglerunner88 said:

I'm no frag expert but you did your research so kudos. But I know you have some real beauties there. That first one is very very rare with the shorter spoon and stubby/cut-back fuze assembly (Bouchon Assembly Mk. II with No. 6 Detonator), dating to the early 1920s(?)  Even the pull pin is correct for the grenade, not having been replaced in later years. The red indicates training, pre-dating the blue training paint adopted in 1926? I wouldn't strip the paint as those are becoming rare to find. As for third, the paint job looks original to me. Haven't found what maker the U stands for, maybe universal or united...?

Here's site with some good info: http://tgrm.foxed.ca/Americangrenades/Mk II/The Mk 2 grenade.html

Thanks!  The only one I was going to strip was the blue one.  It's obviously not original to the grenade.  The other two still appear to have their original paint, so I am going to leave them alone.

Just for info: the green over Painted one has a latter modified fuze assembly. Notice the “ half moon” pin, the end face. It is a half moon or stepped. That was a late war modification to prevent squeezing the spoon to hard and coming off prematurely. It limited the spoon travel. So, you would need a spoon with the black painted stripe on the end.

Browninggunner688

Firstly, very very nice grenades secondly, it's not a C it's a "Square in shape G" on the red and blue grenade, these were made by the Grabler company also known as the square Gee,  it was an iron pipe fitting company. I have one of these square Gee grenades in my collection.

The U is unknown to me, sorry.

Hope this helps you, thanks for sharing.

Nick.

1 hour ago, 917601 said:

Just for info: the green over Painted one has a latter modified fuze assembly. Notice the “ half moon” pin, the end face. It is a half moon or stepped. That was a late war modification to prevent squeezing the spoon to hard and coming off prematurely. It limited the spoon travel. So, you would need a spoon with the black painted stripe on the end.

Thanks for the info.  I was thinking that spoons with the painted stripe signified that they were reused spoons.  Is that not the case?

1 hour ago, Browninggunner688 said:

Firstly, very very nice grenades secondly, it's not a C it's a "Square in shape G" on the red and blue grenade, these were made by the Grabler company also known as the square Gee,  it was an iron pipe fitting company. I have one of these square Gee grenades in my collection.

The U is unknown to me, sorry.

Hope this helps you, thanks for sharing.

Nick.

Thanks Nick!  I appreciate the info! 

46 minutes ago, J.Q.M.D. said:

Thanks for the info.  I was thinking that spoons with the painted stripe signified that they were reused spoons.  Is that not the case?

No, black painted spoons denotes a modified grenade. Many mods done, ignition trains to sealants to primer caps to half moon pins to….

Persian Gulf Command

You shouldn't strip any of the three as they all have original and period paint.  However, you paint them they will just look like newly painted ordnance and will no longer have the vintage character of the originals. Besides they have their most value as you see them right now!